Npc and naturally generating structures

Edgar_Allen_Pro

One thing that I wish in minecraft would be some sort of village in jungles, or here it would be in places similar to jungles, they would be made out of huts in trees and sky bridges of you want I could build an example and send it. It should also contain some sort of hostile tribal mob that shoots arrows and has blow guns and they will protect their treasure. And also they would just be found wandering the area. There should also be ruins of older maybe more advanced civilizations naturally generated within the world. These are only a few ideas

A number of cleverly acting villagers in sophisticated villages would be really cool indeed. I too found Minecraft villages to be too simplistic. Vintagestory will have to fairly basic villages at first, but I definitely want to go as far as possible with villages :)

It be cool if you could have a family with one of the villagers and maybe once your character has died or died of old age ( this could be an option), you then play as one of the offspring or relatives so it creates a story, "Vintage Story". This could show how far you have progressed from the first generation which is your original character.

40 minutes ago, bbushh said:

Maybe there could be a perk for dying of old age rather than violence or misadventure. Make a players character last about 100-200 game days and when they die (of natural causes) they get additional "character" points.

I'm liking the sound of that, sounds like quite a nifty idea.

My idea was that when you spawn you are randomly generated a "life span" between say.....150 days to 200 days....this of course is unknown to you. When you get within 20 days of your fated death (maybe plus or minus 5 days) the game informs you "you are feeling your age" and your character starts to move a bit slower. After you die you respawn but are awarded some kind of perk (skill points, karma points, character points) in addition to what your "dead" ancestor had. Conversely, if you die before your time you might lose a few points off stats...in other words some kind of penalty. I feel this would introduce some needed tension in the game so players strove to stay alive rather than taking dumb risks. For multi player maybe the sting of this could be mitigated by having no penalty if another player kills you....or maybe not :)

• 1 month later...

I feel like the direction that villages should take is that they have a specific pool of resources to maintain itself and expand according to need. In order to maintain itself, the villages should have to build farms and in order to maintain its gradual growth it should have to build residential buildings. Perhaps its architexture should be based on a randomly generated culture based on the resources available.

Unfortuntaly self expanding/self regulating villages has to cover a humongous amounts of corner cases (forest nearby? cliff right besides? not even terrain? village nearby? player base nearby?) and they are like to either die out or grow out of control. It's generally extremly difficult to reach a good balance and not have the village become a complete chaos or have a totally ugly street and house layout. It's something that would need to be experimented and made working with as a seperate mod first before it could become a core component of the game. Otherwise you'll just frustate the players, I think.

Something that could be somewhat dynamic however is trade goods supply/demand. During the summer/fall season a farming village could be selling lots of food for cheap, a mining village could give you cheap mining resources, etc. Combine that with a village road network and horse-taxi-mode and you'd have a very fancy trading game :)

Probably, since they don't differ from automatically generated structures. In any case some sort of "house-search-algorithm" would be required. But this is all future talk right now. Currently I'm focusing on a well working "creative mode" then comes a well working "survival mode". Only beyond that, villages will receive attention, and only if i can still afford to work on it. If nobody buys the game, I will only be abe to work on it for a fraction of my time.

Archived