Mining questions

Netskimmer

Hi all,

Been enjoying the game, trying to get into mining but I am having trouble with the numbers. I've watched some videos and used density mode to find a chunk with ultra high Native copper 21%. I know that doesn't mean there is any copper, just a good chance. Though 21% doesn't seem like a good chance unless that means something else. I know my sea-level is 114 because my world height is 256, but I do not know how they came to that number. According to the Wiki, Native copper has a min/max Y value of 0.0 to 0.6, but I do know how to make use of those numbers. I know the ores occur in disk shapes but I do not know how to use those numbers to know what depth range I should be looking at. Basically, I need to know the following:

A) How did the YouTuber know that a word height of 256 meant a sea-level of 114?

B) How do I calculate my depth ranges from "Y min/max= 0.0/0.6"?

Any help would be appreciated.

4 hours ago, Netskimmer said:

A) How did the YouTuber know that a word height of 256 meant a sea-level of 114?

They were told.  Most of the time you'll be told 110.  110, 114, close enough.  Multiply them by those decimal numbers and you'll have the Y range.  So (0.0*110), (0.6*110) = y level 0 to 66.   It is done this way to be more adaptable if you change the world heigh, in which case the sea level changes.

Fyi, when the propick tells you 21%, note that the percent sign has two zeros on the bottom.  It's actually a permille sign.  Percent is 'parts per 100' (cent = century = 100).   Permille is parts per 1000 (mille = 1000).  To read it as a percent you need to move the decimal one spot to the left.

2 hours ago, Netskimmer said:

Thank you for the information. So it's telling me that it estimates that 2.1% of the chunk is native copper?

In theory, yes.  Deep copper occurs in some of the hugest veins in the game.

And as Netskimmer says, the second mode detects actually-present ores.    The primary mode that gives permilles does not change, even if you mine out the entire chunk.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.