Are mobs going to attack structures?

AngryRob

The reinforcing system was put in for multiplayer environments.   To the best of my knowledge there are currently no plans to have mobs attack blocks in general, like drifters just tearing down walls and doors of all kinds.   That's not to say there may not be certain situations down the road, for instance a mob that attacks with explosives (block damage would be collateral in that case, and not a specific target of the mob), or for instance if large wildlife like elephants could just plow through regular wood fences.   I can't say there will never be specific instances such as these.   But the team is not interested in just destroying peoples' hard-built bases every night I think.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was thinking about how natural disasters would work. then it occurred to me that there is no system of static block damage. So if a building weathered a tornado, it would be more meh then it would be "OH NOE1!". At the same time, i noticed it was harder to remove some blocks by hand then it was others, this made me wonder if this would matter in the future. 

Likewise, I'm not aware of any plans for natural disasters to affect structures.   Crops, quite possible.  But I think as a general rule most people aren't really into having their bases destroyed by random chance.  I'm pretty certain if it was ever a vanilla feature, it would be an 'opt-in' one.

Another thing about mob/nature block destruction, at least from my experience with minecraft or similar, is that it often leaves lots of ugly landscape scars that can be unpleasant to see and hard to get rid of, since generally, nature does not recover from damage done to it.

• 5 weeks later...

actually i wouldn't mind straw huts or wooden buildings to have a chance of being damaged by a natural disaster. and the issue with landscape scars could be prevented by simply saying dirt and stone variants are immune, sure you might see an alley where a tornado tore through a forest, but if you'd made sure to not build in an area prone to catastrophes or build some durable housing you and your base would be fine.

Idk, flooding and tsunamis might be really difficult to implement, but lightning strikes (occassionally when it rains), tornados (if the area is huge and flat, might motivate players to break big plains up, plant forests etc.), blizzards (not doing actual damage to blocks, just adding huge amounts of snow on top, over the course of 2-3 days) might be interesting.

and high tier mobs targeting wooden doors might be interesting too, after we get a way to create more durable things. i still hope portcullis and drawbridges will be possible at some time.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.