Abandoned trader wagons - this time on purpose ;)

junawood

I guess everyone who has played this game for some time might have once in a while found a trader wagon where a part or the trader was missing.
But what if there were some really rare actual trador wagon ruins? Maybe overgrown with trees, vines and bushes, or the new moss or lichen on some of the blocks, and maybe even with one of those new human skeletons in or next to them? The wagons could look like the trader had no time to take anything with him, or it could look like he packed some stuff before he...maybe fled or just joined another trader. The wagons could be complete or with some blocks missing.
Of course they shouldn't just look interesting, so it would be nice to find some stuff in chests and baskets (maybe including a note from the trader) or maybe these could even be unclaimed so that you can get some of those special blocks.

• Like 5

I like most of your idea, but at this moment there is no mob, not even several mobs together, that are dangerous enough to kill a trader (and the ones, that might in bigger numbers get one down, are not interested in harming anything other than seraphs). But depending on the lore behind drifters a trader could have degenerated into being one and you could find a drifter and some notes (something like "i feel it has started" or similar crytic) in that abandoned cart. Or a note like "it takes longer and longer to reappear after dying, i hope the cycle will be over soon" (as they seem to remember what happened before they died and respawn) and a skeleton like you suggested.

The only thing i'm not sure of is the overgrown part... i have not yet found a trader location that wasn't overgrown, do they exist? sometimes i even have a hard time getting the entrance free enough (i need to plant and chop a few trees right next to it to get rid of the blocking leaves/branchy leaves). With the traders generating more frequent in 1.14 (at least it seems to me that's the case) maybe a check if at least 2 trees/bushes have grown into the claimed area and if that's the case there would be a chance of it being abandoned and as such declaimed?

Edited by Hal13
  • Like 1

I don't think there needs to be an exact explanation for why the trader is gone or dead. He might just have died of old age, was sick, fell into a cave nearby, ate the wrong stuff, tried to pet a wolf puppy, or it was a case of "Dad's on a hunting trip and he hasn't been home in a few days..." [Hey, SPN Family!] ;D Maybe he met another trader and joined them or just gave up that job and left to find a better place to live... Who knows. ;) There doesn't have to be an explanation for it, unless he leaves a note that has something to do with him leaving or dying, but even then it can just be hints that leave a lot to the imagination.

11 hours ago, Hal13 said:

i have not yet found a trader location that wasn't overgrown, do they exist?

What? o_O Did you change your settings so that you have a complete forest world? Or maybe haven't seen that much of the world(s) yet? Some traders have some trees and bushes around them, and sometimes the entrance is even blocked, but others have nothing but some grass around them on a wide open plain. It just depends on where they are, as they don't seem to have any influence on the surrounding plants.

11 hours ago, Hal13 said:

maybe a check if at least 2 trees/bushes have grown into the claimed area and if that's the case there would be a chance of it being abandoned and as such declaimed?

I wouldn't consider 2 trees/bushes as overgrown, if that's what you mean, and I don't think it would make much sense that only trader wagons with some plants other than grass around them can be abandoned. ;) Also I would like them to be special instead of just normal but unclaimed wagons without traders, and if they'd replace a normal trader, they'd leave a rather big and maybe sometimes disappointing gap in some areas, so I think I would prefer them to be an addition to the normal fully functional traders.

It would be nice if abandoned trader wagons would have a few lichen/moss covered blocks to indicate that the trader has been gone for a long time, and some could have no plants other than some grass around them. But to get them to look more overgrown than normal trader wagons, some grass blocks could be "tall" and "very tall", and others could have just a few (depending on the size of the wagon) more plants (leaves blocks, berry bushes, vines, ...?) around them that are added to whatever is growing there anyway. But I am not sure if they can be different depending on the surroundings, so they would probably have to fit every climate from desert to jungle and even arctic regions. Vines and moss wouldn't make much sense in a desert for example. So maybe it would have to be just lichen, taller grass and maybe some leaves blocks.

• Like 2

i normally use the slightly more forested (+25%) world generation.

That's how the latest world looks like. and yes now it's slightly less cramped to get to the traders only 1 of the 5 is grown over.

grafik.thumb.png.8b9dcaeb76b66634f90b657ba60761c4.png

and that's an example how all traders generated i found , before 1.14 (after getting cut as free as possible):

grafik.png.ad469d1b078b3cd565349eca6e314595.png

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.