Cutting off when knapping/smithing

heptagonrus

If I separate part of material from the main shape - maybe it can just disappear and save me time?

Not much practical use for it, maybe just immersion and believeability.

Graphical example: e.g. if I remove voxels under blue lines, the red ones should disappear.
In smithing can be used in scythe.

knapping.png

It'd make sense for smithing, but not for knapping.  Knapping would actually make more sense if you could only remove pieces that have 2 sides exposed, I'd say.  Or at most 1 exposed side with a side in parallel on each side.  But you should not be able to dig a 'channel' into a knapped piece, if I understand knapping correctly.

1 hour ago, redram said:

It'd make sense for smithing, but not for knapping.  Knapping would actually make more sense if you could only remove pieces that have 2 sides exposed, I'd say.  Or at most 1 exposed side with a side in parallel on each side.  But you should not be able to dig a 'channel' into a knapped piece, if I understand knapping correctly.

Now you make me think and I agree with you. When knapping one should have to start from the outside and work its way inside.

I mean, I know I said it would make more sense with the 2 sides rule, but honestly I'd just leave knapping as it is.  I don't really think you'd gain much, but you'd possibly confuse players trying to start on inner parts but they won't budge.  Maybe if the highlighted voxels updated dynamically, to only show ones that are valid knapping selections at that moment.  Then there wouldn't be any confusion, hopefully.

Archived