Does this game have gamepad support/ is it planned?

Alexandra Moon

Not quite, but for now you can try an app like JoyToKey. I haven't done it myself though, because as of now, there would be no easy way to handle drag and drop. So unless you like switching to mouse for inventory, or trying to use a joystick as a mouse, you might be able to set up a JoyToKey profile for it. In other words, I feel it's safe to assume for now, it wouldn't work very well without switching devices. 

At the very least we just need Tyron to implement some new "keyboard commands", which might not even be used by keyboard players, but can then be bound to Gamepads using JoyToKey. First we need up / down / left / right functions to move the cursor around inventory slots. Then we would want a set of Next and Previous Inventory Window function to jump the cursor between each of the open inventory boxes. Which obviously needs to keep track of where the cursor is for each box.

I always loved Animal Crossings method of holding the trigger to lift an item, and releasing to drop it. But since we're using left and right mouse buttons we would want the L2 and R2 triggers to be left and right mouseclicks. Which would work perfectly for playing in-game as well. 

These next / previous functions would only work this way during gameplay. I've always liked when a gamepad setup has a Shift button, and this game has enough functions to warrant at least one. It would be great to have access to all of the Emotes without dealing with some kind of popup menu. Third person camera, screenshots, start/stop recording, there are quite a few things people might want access to. 

This would be holding down either the L1 or R1 trigger, or both if necessary, and pressing another button simultaneously. And holding both would result in a third Shift category. 

But since it's a priority, we need to implement the Quickslots bar. This could be handled with L1 shift + ABXY for slots 1-4, and L2 shift + ABXY for slots 5-8. This unfortunately leaves two buttons unbindable, but those could be handled by the D-Pad. Or we could even use L1/R1 plus the joysticks to cycle through slots if we needed to. Or perhaps we could standardize an idea from the mod community, and have two Quickslot bars: the D-pad Left/Right would cycle across, and Up/Down to switch bars. 

As for other functions, I would put Jump on the Bottom Button (PlayStation X, Xbox A, Nintendo B). The Left button (Square, X, Y) should be Run, the Top button (Triangle, Y, X) should be Inventory, and the Right Button (Circle, B, A) to either swap items to the left hand, or switch to the previously used tool / item. Or one of those functions could be the Right Joystick button (R3). 

The Left Joystick Button (L3) has historically been used to Crouch, so we should probably keep it that way. In the case of Gamepads this needs to be toggled on and off, rather than held. Same goes for the standard Start Button bound to Escape. The Select Button could be Inventory, but most people probably use it so much that it needs to be a main function. That would make Select the best choice for the Tab key, to toggle the Message / Chat window. 

With this setup, holding Square and pressing L2 (bottom Left trigger) creates a Shift-click. While I'm on the subject, I love that function for quickly shifting items between storage, and most of the time it goes where I want it. I think to enhance the idea even further, the game should track what the overall use of each storage device is. If the contents are mostly stones or dirt or wood, shift-clicking those items would choose that location first. I'm guessing that with Vintage Story's wildcard naming system, adding up the number of "material-*-*-*" would probably give the numbers you would need a majority of the time.

Anyway, I'm curious what anyone else feels on the idea. It's better to come up with a setup so good that the player doesn't need the option to modify it at all, but since that's a requirement in this case, at the very least we want a setup that most people won't want to change. 

3 hours ago, l33tmaan said:

Do people... play Minecraft with a controller or something? 😟

They do when physically disabled! ^_^

4 hours ago, Jobediah Timberman said:

Not quite, but for now you can try an app like JoyToKey. I haven't done it myself though, because as of now, there would be no easy way to handle drag and drop. So unless you like switching to mouse for inventory, or trying to use a joystick as a mouse, you might be able to set up a JoyToKey profile for it. In other words, I feel it's safe to assume for now, it wouldn't work very well without switching devices. 

At the very least we just need Tyron to implement some new "keyboard commands", which might not even be used by keyboard players, but can then be bound to Gamepads using JoyToKey. First we need up / down / left / right functions to move the cursor around inventory slots. Then we would want a set of Next and Previous Inventory Window function to jump the cursor between each of the open inventory boxes. Which obviously needs to keep track of where the cursor is for each box.

I always loved Animal Crossings method of holding the trigger to lift an item, and releasing to drop it. But since we're using left and right mouse buttons we would want the L2 and R2 triggers to be left and right mouseclicks. Which would work perfectly for playing in-game as well. 

These next / previous functions would only work this way during gameplay. I've always liked when a gamepad setup has a Shift button, and this game has enough functions to warrant at least one. It would be great to have access to all of the Emotes without dealing with some kind of popup menu. Third person camera, screenshots, start/stop recording, there are quite a few things people might want access to. 

This would be holding down either the L1 or R1 trigger, or both if necessary, and pressing another button simultaneously. And holding both would result in a third Shift category. 

But since it's a priority, we need to implement the Quickslots bar. This could be handled with L1 shift + ABXY for slots 1-4, and L2 shift + ABXY for slots 5-8. This unfortunately leaves two buttons unbindable, but those could be handled by the D-Pad. Or we could even use L1/R1 plus the joysticks to cycle through slots if we needed to. Or perhaps we could standardize an idea from the mod community, and have two Quickslot bars: the D-pad Left/Right would cycle across, and Up/Down to switch bars. 

As for other functions, I would put Jump on the Bottom Button (PlayStation X, Xbox A, Nintendo B). The Left button (Square, X, Y) should be Run, the Top button (Triangle, Y, X) should be Inventory, and the Right Button (Circle, B, A) to either swap items to the left hand, or switch to the previously used tool / item. Or one of those functions could be the Right Joystick button (R3). 

The Left Joystick Button (L3) has historically been used to Crouch, so we should probably keep it that way. In the case of Gamepads this needs to be toggled on and off, rather than held. Same goes for the standard Start Button bound to Escape. The Select Button could be Inventory, but most people probably use it so much that it needs to be a main function. That would make Select the best choice for the Tab key, to toggle the Message / Chat window. 

With this setup, holding Square and pressing L2 (bottom Left trigger) creates a Shift-click. While I'm on the subject, I love that function for quickly shifting items between storage, and most of the time it goes where I want it. I think to enhance the idea even further, the game should track what the overall use of each storage device is. If the contents are mostly stones or dirt or wood, shift-clicking those items would choose that location first. I'm guessing that with Vintage Story's wildcard naming system, adding up the number of "material-*-*-*" would probably give the numbers you would need a majority of the time.

Anyway, I'm curious what anyone else feels on the idea. It's better to come up with a setup so good that the player doesn't need the option to modify it at all, but since that's a requirement in this case, at the very least we want a setup that most people won't want to change. 

I might try this, I've tried joy 2 key in the past with mixed results, generally prefer a UI designed for it, and was wondering if one was scoped, but I can see about giving this a try.

• Cookie time 1

I'm mostly curious as to how well Minecraft with a controller works due to the inventory interface. Then again, inventory capacity never gets that large in this game so maybe it's not as annoying as some crazy modded Minecraft game with infinite storage capacity chests.

1 hour ago, l33tmaan said:

I'm mostly curious as to how well Minecraft with a controller works due to the inventory interface. Then again, inventory capacity never gets that large in this game so maybe it's not as annoying as some crazy modded Minecraft game with infinite storage capacity chests.

Well tons of people play on with a controller on consoles. It's not that bad I've done it myself. I play Bedrock Edition with my daughter on our Xbox One. There are quick binds for moving around your inventory, hotbar, and crafting areas.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.