Crafting, mod to make it less cumbersome?

vurt

Just started out but i notice when you craft stuff you have to place items in a certain order on the grid.

Not sure i like that idea, is there a mod that removes this or at least adds a guide on the grid where you are supposed to place the various items? I mean there's a guide when you create e.g flint heads, why not here? 

I don't see how this adds to immersion to be honest, it just makes it more time consuming with boring resorting to the helper every time you want to make something. Maybe a non-issue to those with particularly good memory, but i'm not one of those.. I mean if there were like 5 things you create then i would remember it eventually, but not for hundreds of things. 

Thanks

the guide is squares, not possible to miss really..  like i said, i don't understand why we get a guide when we make those, but not for all other hundreds (crafting, pressing E) of items where you place various items on a grid.. i can see how that will get annoying very quickly... i think its enough keeping track of what ingredients you need to create a certain item, also having to place said ingredients in a special way is a bit over the top... doesn't add anything imo. 

maybe im missing something though, played for 1h max so far so...

Edited by vurt

i made a comparison to the knapping, there you get a guide with squares. when you press E and you craft e.g a weapon or whatever you must remember to put the correct ingredient in the correct squares or you can not create the item so you have to look up where you drop everything. i don't see how that adds anything, and at least i think there should be the same square-guide at the very least. 

not seen that for any game where you craft to be honest, you just drop the ingredients you need, and it will accept that. for minecraft i don't know, been years since i tried it, if i recall correctly you just add the items you need, no need to put them in any special order..

We are very modding friendly, hopefully someone will see this and decide to make a mod to do exactly this - show recipes on the crafting grid itself.   (e.g. outlines of the items)   Though it's not clear how the system would know which item you want to make?   I guess a handbook recipe could be transferred to the grid.

One of the most beloved Minecraft mods is an item browser, where you can look up each individual item, its properties and description, what recipe it has (if any), and what recipes it is used in (if any).

In MInecraft, this is a mod. In Vintage Story, we have that stock, in the form of the handbook.

However, one thing that the Minecraft mod has that the VS handbook doesn't is a little button in the recipe lookup. You click that button, and it populates your crafting grid with that recipe. It can either use actual items from your inventory, if you have them on hand, so that you can immediately take the finished item out; or, it can display semi-transparent images of the items in the correct slots, so you have a guide for manually placing things there.

We will probably never see this feature in stock VS, because the crafting grid is merely a stand-in solution. Over time, as development progresses, most recipes are supposed to be migrated out of the crafting grid into either in-world crafting systems (like knapping and clayforming) or specific crafting stations (barrels, cooking pots, etc). Tyron has stated that ideally he'd like to get rid of the grid entirely at some point, but he doesn't know yet if it'll be feasible.

But, I could see a mod that adds this functionality to VS as well.

One small issue to keep in mind: in Minecraft, the recipe browser mod is integrated into the inventory screen. Meaning, the inventory is guaranteed to be open when viewing recipes, and thus, the crafting grid is guaranteed to be open when the user tries to populate it with a recipe. In VS, the handbook is not linked to the inventory screen in any way. A mod that gives the handbook the ability to populate the crafting grid with recipes would need to be able to control the inventory screen, in order to open it on demand before pushing the recipe.

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.