Helve Hammer oddity

Brett Jones

I had exactly the same behaviour with mine. Despite being connected to a full set of sails and built at z-level 137 with a minimalist set of axles. Even in full wind (value read directly on the rotor), 2 hits then the whole transmission chain jam. I tried to remove the quern that was sharing the large wheel with the hammer, same problem. Finallly, I had to remove the large wheel itself in order to have the hammer starting again. And so, I built a second smaller windmill for the quern. I really think there is some kind of debugging to be done on the mechanical power.

Edited by Saricane

Without knowing how your setup was made it's hard to say what went wrong. It sounds however that it was done like this: rotor >axle > angled gear > axle > large gear > angled gears > helvehammer, quern. If you connect the rotor directly into the large gear shaft, it requires 5x more torque. The game takes a moment to update when you connect it and then jams, thus the two hits you got. You would have needed about 5 windmills to power it, though the speed had then been 5x higher as well. I made this mistake too at first and was sure that the large gear was bugged. You need to connect the rotor to the side of the large gear, to keep the transfer of power direct from the rotor to the machines.

• Like 2

Yes, LauriU, your description of my setup is perfectly right. A classic one ! But I was not aware that the rotor has to be connected on the side of the large wheel, just like  the hammer or the quern. I will modify my setup to follow your advice, and I'll tell you the result. Thanks.

• 5 months later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.