Going in water should only extinguish the equipped torch, not the whole stack

DrBazoo

It makes sense that water extinguishes torches, but it is both annoying and unrealistic that a whole stack of torches should get extinguished. Torches carried in your inventory do not get extinguished so it would make sense that only the torch you are holding should get extinguished and not the entire stack since technically you are not holding all of those torches at once. The obvious workaround currently is to only equip single torches and keep stacks of torches in your inventory. I think this change would overall be a good quality-of-life improvement for the game.

• Like 1

I mean I think only the torches in an off-hand or selected hotbar slot get doused when you jump in water, so having them get doused if they're in the hotbar at all sounds worse not better. Maybe what you could do is have an earlygame item that keeps torches in your off-hand lit? so if you want to keep the whole stack in your off-hand rather than splitting between off-hand and inventory you can build something to oil them or something that can re-light the torches from the inventory or something like that, to make carried torches getting doused less of a punishment. I think it's fair that if you're carrying a stack of torches in your off-hand and go for a swim they should go out, but maybe not in two block deep water? maybe it should have to be three blocks deep or more, to represent you holding the torch over your head?

The one thing I worry about with dousing a stack a little at a time is that you could lose the unlit torches if you don't have an inventory space to send them to they'd just fall in the water, so leaving room for an inventory slot for unlit torches to douse and fall into is.. just strictly worse I think than leaving an inventory slot for a stack of torches that don't get doused.

Also, while we're on the topic of torches, I'd love to be able to fast reheat torches by moving a lit torch into a stack of unlit torches rather than building a fire or placing them all and reheating them individually. Since you always have the option if you have a lit torch and unlit torches to place the unlit torches and light them manually, it's just skipping a really irritating, trivial step that doesn't make gameplay much more fun. It would be like if crafting hay into bales required a stacking and tying animation for every bale, or if planting saplings required you to crouch on the ground and dig a little hole to drop them in. No chance to go wrong, no extra resources consumed, just a extra animation  complication for the sake of inconvenience.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 5/10/2021 at 3:40 PM, Brynn Bernstein said:

Also, while we're on the topic of torches, I'd love to be able to fast reheat torches by moving a lit torch into a stack of unlit torches rather than building a fire or placing them all and reheating them individually.

I kind of agree with that suggestion or doing something like I saw on multiples minecraft mod adding the feature of torch extinction and unlit torch and being able to simply right click with an unlit torch on a lit torch in the world to lite the torch. I think it is a lot more logical to being able to lite a torch you have in your hand by interacting with an already lite torch in world, than have to place in the wall, and holding a lite torch on it and breaking that torch and take it back... having to do that for a whole stack of torch is a complete pain. Having possibility to do the other way will bring possibility to lite a whole stack in 1 action or simply holding right-click until all torch is lite...

Doing it in the inventory is possible but is not as nice I think than having a real interaction with the animation and everything...

I have a bit of a different view on torches. The whole way they work in this game and Minecraft and others is odd.

We are talking flaming sticks, yes? Up to 64 flaming sticks per inventory slot, held in our hands/inventory or packed into a backpack or reed basket of some kind that we have a bunch of other stuff packed into with them....

I think we should only be able to carry one lit torch in our hand or off hand at a timeNo lit torches in any pack or inventory slot at all- only unlit torches at the ready.

If you need the hand with the torch free, put the torch down or switch hands. If you need both hands free or to use for other things, put the torch down. If you want to put a torch on a wall or stick one in the ground, place the lit torch, or place an unlit torch (which you could have a stack of up to 64 of), and then light the placed torch with the lit torch you are holding (or use the fire starter).

(Making this make sense would mean making other things make sense too though, like how in the world do we hold multiple stacks of lit lanterns or oil lamps at a time, or many multiple trees' worth of logs, or what amounts to tons and tons of stone and dirt? That is part of a larger discussion on adding inventory volume and weight mechanics and such... but I digress.)

So, given we will likely always be able to carry huge stacks of flaming sticks in our inventory or backpacks and such without issue, I think the least I can suggest is that water should, in all fairness, extinguish any and all flaming sticks/lamps/lanterns you may have on your person if you decide to take them swimming with you.

Just my personal take on the issue.

~TH~

Edit: Maybe have a special container you can place in a backpack slot that alone carries a bundle of lit torches, but something along the lines of 8 or 16 instead of 64. Spare unlit torches can be safely packed en mass into your backpack along with everything else. Alt-mouse wheel scrolling over to the torch bundle allows you to right click-place one.

Doing this would add having to manage inventory capacity into the mix, which to my mind sounds like a fair compromise given we are dealing with juggling things that are on fire. Just how baddly do you want to have a stack of lit torches on hand?  Enough to fill up a pack slot and forgo inventory space or some other special pack slot inventory expansion?

(They should all still go out though, if you take them swimming.) ;)

Edited by Thalius
  • Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.