Mechanical power requirements?

JamesB

Is there any sort of graph or chart that shows the power requirements for certain mechanical items?  I have one maxed (sails) out windmill putting out 60 kN of power.  As soon as I connect a large gear -> small gear -> axle -> quern the entire system stops.  I can't quite figure out the requirements for distributing the power of the windmill.

I'm not aware of one, but one easy fix you should check is to make sure you're placing pieces in order from the windmill to the quern. If you connect a powered component (like a windmill or something that is connected to it and rotating) to an already placed unpowered component (an axle or gear existing in the world and not rotating) sometimes a glitch causes it not to work. I read this on the wiki a while ago and since then I've always placed my components in order from windmill to output, so I don't know if it's still an issue, but you might try connecting piece by piece, making sure each newly placed piece turns, and see if that makes a difference or at least shows you where your problem is.

Did you connect the output of the windmill directly on the axle of the large wheel ? Or on the side, on one of the four slots available on the large wheel ?

In the first case, that could be your problem. I had the same kind of problem until someone explained that you should put the windmill on one slot of the large wheel, and the devices to power on the 3 other slots (or 2 windmills and 2 devices, or even 2 large wheels linked by their axle, the windmills on one wheel, the devices to power on the other).

16 hours ago, Brynn Bernstein said:

I'm not aware of one, but one easy fix you should check is to make sure you're placing pieces in order from the windmill to the quern. If you connect a powered component (like a windmill or something that is connected to it and rotating) to an already placed unpowered component (an axle or gear existing in the world and not rotating) sometimes a glitch causes it not to work. I read this on the wiki a while ago and since then I've always placed my components in order from windmill to output, so I don't know if it's still an issue, but you might try connecting piece by piece, making sure each newly placed piece turns, and see if that makes a difference or at least shows you where your problem is.

This may be my problem.  Because I already have the gears and axles to the tools set.  I'm just adding the large gear in between.  So I'll try stripping the entire setup and go from large gear onward.

15 hours ago, Saricane said:

Did you connect the output of the windmill directly on the axle of the large wheel ? Or on the side, on one of the four slots available on the large wheel ?

In the first case, that could be your problem. I had the same kind of problem until someone explained that you should put the windmill on one slot of the large wheel, and the devices to power on the 3 other slots (or 2 windmills and 2 devices, or even 2 large wheels linked by their axle, the windmills on one wheel, the devices to power on the other).

My setup is Windmill -> horizontal axle -> gear -> vertical axels -> large gear.  This is split off with two axles going off to two tools.  I've been considering toing multiple windmills connected with large gears.  But I want to understand the basics of how this all works first.

UPDATE:

Did a complete rebuild from the windmill to the tools.  Still not working.  So I tried bypassing the large gear and connected straight into a quern and that worked.  So there must be something wonky with the large gear.

Edited by JamesB

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.