Hares keep getting into my garden

Mary Bones
Go to solution Solved by Saricane,

Afternoon, everyone. Been enjoying this game since last year but I'll get right to the point. I was lucky enough to find some terra preta while out exploring, so I figured now would be as good a time as any to start up my garden. I built a dry stone fence around some space near my cottage (plus another nearby for animals) and planted some flax there, but now I'm running into a problem: Despite being completely fenced in, hares keep appearing in my garden and eating my crops.

I've attached a couple screenshots of my garden below for anyone who cares to take a look. My best guess is all the blank space for grass to grow is what allows the hares to spawn; I dug out some channels to put water in, once I've got planks to make buckets, plus I just don't have enough terra preta to fill out all the farmland I want just yet. I'm not sure, though, so I wanted to see if anyone can tell what the problem is. Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Oh, right, I forgot to mention that I'm playing on v1.15.0-rc.4, in case that's relevant.

2021-07-14_17-03-29.png

2021-07-14_17-03-47.png

Edited by Mary Bones

• Solution

Yes they may appear on the grass that spawn inside the fence. To prevent this, I manage to minimize the grass blocks. The water channel is under the fence (not inside), so the terra preta can touch the fence. And if, for some reason, I still have (because work in progress, or so ...) grass blocks, I put a flower on them, so the grass can't spawn. I even have a daily look on the fallow farmlands, because grass or horsetail sometimes spawns on them.

Sometimes they jump from the outside, with the help of a misplaced soil block, or chest. Better have a flat land outside the garden.

Last little advice : you should not have a shared wall with your house. The world is wide enough to put your gardens and your animals a dozen blocks away. In your case, it seems not to be the origin of the problem, but mobs have sometimes efficiently pathfinding that I underestimate. Moreover, it's difficult when you want to resize the house or the garden (don't forget a farmland is destroyed when moving, so terra preta must be carrefully placed).

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.