Charcoal pit losses

Davin Kammermann

I use a LOT of charcoal in the game I am playing... mainly because my friend and I like making steel (for no particular reason other than to see how much of a stack we can create... already have over 1000 ingots in the stack) anyway... Is there a set amount of random loss per block of charcoal in a charcoal pit? I usually make a 7x7x7 and place the fire in the top middle of the 7th layer so the whole pit will burn and cover it up. I use stone for the walls and floor and glass for the roof and it is disappointing sometimes to see the amount of loss. I would say on average I lose the 2 top blocks of each stack... (sometimes a stack can be down to half and other stacks lose only 2 or 3 layers of the top block. 

Is there a certain size of pit that has a better ratio of recoverable charcoal?

did a count and am missing a total of 83 blocks of a possible 342 (considering the fire block) so loss was approx 24%?

I will also mention that yes I am aware that there is going to be a loss in volume as part of the process involves the removal of moisture and other volatile elements.. :)

Edited by Davin Kammermann

7 hours ago, Davin Kammermann said:

is there a certain size of pit that has a better ratio of recoverable charcoal?

To the best of my knowledge (I didn't code the process and am not a coder at all) it indeed has a fairly variable amount of loss, and the construction of the pit does not affect this.  I generally assume the average yield per block of wood to be around 5, but with a variance of around 2 more or less, just based on my in-game experience.  I don't make a lot of it though, preferring coal, personally.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.