Cooler Climate

Butterbot

I'm playing in a a cool climate for the first time. I had to haul myself a few thousand blocks south to find seeds, and I am loving these long summer days that never get dark enough to spawn the usual horde of drifters all night long- but I had a dreadful thought. Surely, winter will be the reverse? Endless nights that never get light enough to allow drifters to despawn? 

• Wolf Bait 1

Correct. If you move far enough north, you'll get a midnight sun in summer: a sun that never sets, giving daylight 24/7. At the same location, in winter, you will have a polar night - where the sun will never rise above the horizon at all for several months.

But at least you get to enjoy the aurora borealis while the skies are clear... ;)

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Streetwind said:

Correct. If you move far enough north, you'll get a midnight sun in summer: a sun that never sets, giving daylight 24/7. At the same location, in winter, you will have a polar night - where the sun will never rise above the horizon at all for several months.

But at least you get to enjoy the aurora borealis while the skies are clear... ;)

Well, I wanted to mix it up and play differently! The night sky is always beautiful, I'm really looking forward to those aurora. I guess worst case scenario, I can always run south if it turns out to be too much. 

• Like 1

• Playing in arctic region is a very interesting challenge. Probably the only region where you really feel you play a survival game, even after you survived your first winter with temperatures as low as -45° around end january. My current game is in an arctic region, and I still enjoy playing it after 3 winters.
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Saricane said:
  • Playing in arctic region is a very interesting challenge. Probably the only region where you really feel you play a survival game, even after you survived your first winter with temperatures as low as -45° around end january. My current game is in an arctic region, and I still enjoy playing it after 3 winters.

I just thought of this potential problem- I understand animals will despawn if left in the dark - do I need to light up my animal enclosures in winter to keep them?

do I need to light up my animal enclosures in winter to keep them?

Absolutely no. You just have to build a double height fence, because of the snow. And when you say "animals", you should rather say "bighorns", because that's all you have to eat in the north. Your main problem when starting in arctic area is to find a complete set of very warm clothes (fur boots, fur coat and so on ...), enough flax to repair them during the winter, and of course having enough prepared food. Don't forget you can build greenhouses with glacier ice. This allow you to build your greenhouses as soon as you settle down.

• Like 1

On 9/8/2021 at 1:59 AM, Saricane said:

Absolutely no. You just have to build a double height fence, because of the snow. And when you say "animals", you should rather say "bighorns", because that's all you have to eat in the north. Your main problem when starting in arctic area is to find a complete set of very warm clothes (fur boots, fur coat and so on ...), enough flax to repair them during the winter, and of course having enough prepared food. Don't forget you can build greenhouses with glacier ice. This allow you to build your greenhouses as soon as you settle down.

I don't think I'm fully arctic because I have chickens and the glacier ice is up on mountains, but thank you a lot, I was starting to worry about the logistics of keeping my sheep fed and from blinking out of existence.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.