Tree redesign

SSTVreader

The trees in this game are already dynamic in that they grow and change height over time. I think you could take it one step further, though, using inspiration from a little known minecraft mod called Dynamic Trees. It basically overhauls how the trees look but keeps them faithful to their core shape, though in my opinion it does well to do away with large, tacky trunks. Rather, the trunks in dynamic trees thin with height just like real trees, eventually separating into branches.

I think this tree design looks much better and would really help this game garner that more realistic aesthetic it's going for. For me, the juxtaposition between the finely detailed objects we can build and the thick, blocky trees in the environment is just really jarring. Truly a vestigial feature of early block game sandboxes.

mature oak tree.PNG

• Like 1

1.16 actually implements dynamic trees for the first time. You can download a (buggy) prerelease right now to look :)

For now the feature is limited to the new fruit trees. But, who knows... the tech is here now, and it is being put out there for the players to test and enjoy. Maybe, if it is viable from a performance standpoint, a future update could replace all the regular trees with dynamic ones.

Do note, however, that that might well turn out to be a savebreaking update. Vintage Story has not had a savebreaking update in years, and Tyron really dislikes them. So there is no planned timeframe right now for a thing like full-scale tree replacement. IF it ever comes, it will likely be bundled with as many other savebreaking things as can be found, to get it over with in one go.

In the meantime, there theoretically should be nothing that stops modders from tapping into the fruit tree code to make a dynamic trees mod...

Edited by Streetwind

i'm not sure about it having to be savebreaking... i mean one could just replace the branchy leaf blocks with branches for the already generated trees, that should get them close enough to not break anything. newly generated/grown trees than would use the new mechanic , sure having two different tree codes from which only one can be grown isn't ideal but it would prevent stuff from breaking, right?

And after some major versions, when there really is something that would break old saves, one could get rid of the old trees then, after all if you'd need to generate a new world and then can't grow the old trees anyway the old code isn't used anymore anyway... if someone updated the old world then ignoring that the trees would just be like placed blocks...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.