strange spawning behavior of wolves

Hal13

okay, the grace timer just is over in my world, but somehow wolf spawning behavior in 1.15 became stranger than before.

First i never saw that many wolves spawn in that close proximity before, second they spawned in a desert nearly without any trees.

After herding most and killing some of them the herd looks like this:

2021-12-19_17-14-48.thumb.png.b60f492f58c475c5d8a766b2be00a86d.png

The big question is now: will keeping them there prevent new spawns like in earlier versions?

I've noticed that there seems to be spawn areas for certain mobs. I have any area that spawns a lot of chickens. By fencing it in, I now have a large amount of chickens.

My guess is that whatever the spawning requirements are, they are met in this particular area so chickens spawn regularly there. Same with your desert wolves. Maybe there's a very small area that meets the wolf spawning requirements, so that spot triggers all the wolf spawns concentrating them.

the spawning requirement for wolves used to be foresty area with no nearby other wolves.

no trees no wolves, huge tree farm counted as forest ergo wolves can spawn.

But in this case, there are only a few stumps of leaking pine wood left, not even birch leaves anywhere close by, and on the first day after the grace period ended those wolves plus another 10+ (which i killed) spawned all over the first day.

the next foresty area is a good 100-200 blocks north of it. I hope (and it seems to be the case for not quite 2 days now) the good 2 dozen wolves in that pit will suffice to prevent more spawns around my base.

On 12/20/2021 at 1:52 AM, idiomcritter said:

idk, but it looks like a possible mob farm, build some corralling fences... endless fat n leather

i won't fence off an area of about 300x200 just to farm some wolves, too much hassle to deal with them, I'd rather prevent them from spawning.

7 hours ago, Hal13 said:

the spawning requirement for wolves used to be foresty area with no nearby other wolves.

no trees no wolves, huge tree farm counted as forest ergo wolves can spawn.

But in this case, there are only a few stumps of leaking pine wood left, not even birch leaves anywhere close by, and on the first day after the grace period ended those wolves plus another 10+ (which i killed) spawned all over the first day.

IIRC the wolf spawning checks for the forest conditions at world generation, not the current forest conditions, so cutting down the trees shouldn't change anything? But there should still be a check for existing wolves....

Also, unless something got changed recently, the grace timer should only affect monsters like drifters, not animals like wolves. So if the large numbers of wolves just happened recently, there seems to be something off.

1 hour ago, Philtre said:

the wolf spawning checks for the forest conditions at world generation, not the current forest conditions

That would be a change to earlier versions already, in earlier versions (more or less in every world i created in 1.14 and below) i accidently created spawn zones for wolves with big tree farms more than once. But a single pack of wolves every few days isn't a problem (and normally until my tree growing operation is that big I am clad in iron chain mail anyway which makes them even less a problem).

Or rather the spawning locations were set with world generation but as long as there was no forest no wolves spawned.

1 hour ago, Philtre said:

Also, unless something got changed recently, the grace timer should only affect monsters like drifters, not animals like wolves. So if the large numbers of wolves just happened recently, there seems to be something off.

And that's the reason for my question, i wouldn't have settled in such a hot spot for wolves (raccoons were plenty but I didn't encounter a single wolf until the morning after the grace timer ran out, since then raccoons got sparse instead) and moving the base after over 120 hours (translating to less than 7 days ingame with my settings) building and expanding it isn't something I'd enjoy.

Edited by Hal13

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.