Luxury Trader addition

Blazer

Just a small change to luxury traders to accept high end finished foodstuffs, such as cheesewheels, pies and alcohols. Depending on the complexity of the item whether it be in ingredients or steps to make, it receives a higher or lower price; e.g. a pure onion pie would go for a single gear, or not be accepted at all, while a pie with meats and several different vegetables or rarer fruits would give a larger payout. The same concept can be applied to alcohol, should we ever get more variety in the future. The more base ciders and spirits selling for low or not at all, while aged wines and champagnes would sell high.

You might be thinking "why shouldn't this go under the food trader category?" My answer would be; the food trader is all about selling much more base items you'd see commoners consume, such as simple ingredients and breads or tools. The more high end 'luxurious' foods which would correspond more towards the rich and decadent, in my opinion, belong with the luxury trader.

• Like 1

alcohols and wheels of cheese are definitely something a luxury trader might be interested in (i mean Parmesan cheese even can be used as security deposit with some banks), but pies? a luxury trader would only be able to sell those for a profit while they are fresh, but it'll take the trader potentially days to reach another trading spot when traveling with the cart, hence they would lose money if they'd bought them from anyone to sell them elsewhere. If we'd get settlements, those people might be interested in pies to consume themself, but even than it would feel strange if it was a common trade doable more or less every week and or if demand was higher than 1-2.

Yes more luxurious things are the luxury traders trade, but such a trader has fewer customers and sells stuff less often, hence any food that isn't at least keepable (but better gets worth more the longer it's kept) wouldn't be of interest for them.

Edited by Hal13

I think occasional npc homesteads could be a great thing to have, something that gives the traders a bit more substance and provides examples of how things work to new players. I don't think anything bigger than 3 to maybe half a dozen people and 2 to 3 houses would fit the game, but people who have their own trade and who potentially are the reason why so many traders travel the lands could help with immersion and explain where potential settlers came from (even if they technically just spawned in your settlement). After all most traders look like they don't craft/produce what they sell. I don't like to have bigger villages or even towns, as those either take up way too big claimed chunks of land or just invite raiding them and meta gaming like with Minecrafts testificates.

17 hours ago, Hal13 said:

I think occasional npc homesteads could be a great thing to have, something that gives the traders a bit more substance and provides examples of how things work to new players. I don't think anything bigger than 3 to maybe half a dozen people and 2 to 3 houses would fit the game, but people who have their own trade and who potentially are the reason why so many traders travel the lands could help with immersion and explain where potential settlers came from (even if they technically just spawned in your settlement). After all most traders look like they don't craft/produce what they sell. I don't like to have bigger villages or even towns, as those either take up way too big claimed chunks of land or just invite raiding them and meta gaming like with Minecrafts testificates.

Walled homesteads as the largest settlement you could find would make some sense compared to an open village like in Minecraft due to the better security it would provide against both wild animals and Drifter spawns at night. A simple wooden palisade or cobblestone wall surrounding one or two buildings, a well and a single crop field/workshop/open courtyard wouldn't take up that much space. The buildings could even incorporate the palisade as their external facing walls. These would be the upper end and rarest spawns, with anywhere between 4-6 villagers. Far more common would be single building cabins with an attached fenced garden that only have one to two villagers living in them.

cabin.jpg

homestead.jpg

• Like 3

On 12/30/2021 at 6:53 AM, Pallanza said:

Walled homesteads as the largest settlement you could find would make some sense compared to an open village like in Minecraft due to the better security it would provide against both wild animals and Drifter spawns at night. A simple wooden palisade or cobblestone wall surrounding one or two buildings, a well and a single crop field/workshop/open courtyard wouldn't take up that much space. The buildings could even incorporate the palisade as their external facing walls. These would be the upper end and rarest spawns, with anywhere between 4-6 villagers. Far more common would be single building cabins with an attached fenced garden that only have one to two villagers living in them.

cabin.jpg

homestead.jpg

That looks nice. I remember that I had to go "creative mode" just to make a merchant homestead several blocks away from my base.

On 1/1/2022 at 7:18 PM, setne550 said:

That looks nice. I remember that I had to go "creative mode" just to make a merchant homestead several blocks away from my base.

I want to loot and pillage the absolute crap out of trader carts when I see them and it makes me sad I cannot, maybe if we do the trader becomes aggressive (Spelunky) and its a new mob? They are very powerful and a nice way to add a bit of a new fight to the game? :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.