Malachite surface deposits?

Bastez

I've started a new game and luckily (possibly!) begun in a limestone area. The problem is I can't find any malachite which is supposed to be the alternative to copper for this area if I understand the wiki correctly. Am I right in thinking it appears as small 'stones' on the surface like copper or is it only found as an ore within rock? If the latter I can see a lot of boring panning for regular copper will be needed!

Edited by Bastez

See on this wiki page:

Malachite is in the table for "shallow ores", meaning it generates surface stones.

However, keep in mind: the name "shallow ores" is a designation some wiki editor made up, and does not reflect actual ingame behavior. These ores can generate surface stones, but they are not guaranteed to spawn right below the dirt layer. Malachite in particular may spawn anywhere between 98% sea level and 20% sea level - so it could be really far down (if there was a rock down there that could host it).

And I don't know if surface stones will generate no matter how deep the vein spawns, or only if it's within a certain distance of the surface. The rule of the thumb for typical earlygame copper deposits is that you'll find them no more than 12 blocks below the surface stones; this might mean that deposits that generate deeper than that do not spawn surface stones. But then again, that type of copper uses a special generator method that ensures it'll spawn right below the surface. So maybe that's just the maximum spawn depth, and makes no statement about surface stones. I don't know.

Point is, if you find surface stones, you'll know there is something. But if you don't find surface stones, there's no guarantee that there isn't something.

• Like 1

Thanks both for the prompt replies!

I've spent a few hours in this area and haven't seen any malachite on the surface in the form of 'stones' (or in any of the cliff faces, I haven't ventured underground yet!). This is markedly different from my usual early game experience where copper 'stones' can be found easily. I guess my question should have been: are surface stones of malachite in limestone areas as common as those of copper in other areas?

30 minutes ago, Bastez said:

Thanks both for the prompt replies!

I've spent a few hours in this area and haven't seen any malachite on the surface in the form of 'stones' (or in any of the cliff faces, I haven't ventured underground yet!). This is markedly different from my usual early game experience where copper 'stones' can be found easily. I guess my question should have been: are surface stones of malachite in limestone areas as common as those of copper in other areas?

It takes a bit of effort but you'll find one. (and by the long run you'll find more that copper becomes less needed)

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.