Corn Crop

ThiccBirb

Corn or Maize style plant would be awesome. I like that they would grow very tall and possibly be one of the taller plants in the game usable for privacy or cause a slower walking speed when trying to get through them (hinder enemies?).

However I believe the landmass cultural history of Vintage Story is closer to Europe/England etc than the Americas, hence we don't have potatos since they came about much later than 1300's. Likewise, corn/maize originated in Mexico and wasn't until just before 1500's that it was exported back to Europe.

It is quite likely that we won't see many plants from the Columbian Exchange period in Vintage Story vanilla. I know we have *some*.

Source: "After the arrival of Europeans in 1492, Spanish settlers consumed maize, and explorers and traders carried it back to Europe and introduced it to other countries."

I am all for more types of plants, however :)

Edited by Smile

6 hours ago, Smile said:

However I believe the landmass cultural history of Vintage Story is closer to Europe/England etc than the Americas, hence we don't have potatos since they came about much later than 1300's. Likewise, corn/maize originated in Mexico and wasn't until just before 1500's that it was exported back to Europe.

If we go by certain items and journal entries in the game (references to the Hanseatic League, the Sami indigenous people, Germanic/Dutch titles of nobility), the story and its characters revolve around the relative area of the countries surrounding the Baltic/North Sea. One could make an argument that titles have been used in fantasy settings despite not being a one-to-one expy of a real life culture (such as Warhammer Fantasy with the Empire mimicking the Holy Roman Empire, Bretonnia aping France, etc). However, it's fairly unheard of for a fantasy setting to outright use the exact same names for regions or ethnicity as they appear in real life. There's no way to pass off "Hanseatic" or "Sami" as just being some coincidental term.

When Vintage Story was originally begun, the original crop set was indeed limited to 'old world' crops.   However this limitation has been dropped, and all crops are fair game.  Witness the peanut, bell pepper, and pineapple, which is are all new world plants. And big horn sheep which apparently slipped under the original prohibition, as they are new world animals, but also racoons which were added later, and are also new world animals.  The fact that we don't have things like potatoes and corn yet is simply down to not having chosen to add them yet.  Crops take a lot of artist time for the many stages, so they're not something we add casually out of hand.  But corn and potatoes will certainly eventually come, among many others.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, redram said:

When Vintage Story was originally begun, the original crop set was indeed limited to 'old world' crops.   However this limitation has been dropped, and all crops are fair game.  Witness the peanut, bell pepper, and pineapple, which is are all new world plants. And big horn sheep which apparently slipped under the original prohibition, as they are new world animals, but also racoons which were added later, and are also new world animals.  The fact that we don't have things like potatoes and corn yet is simply down to not having chosen to add them yet.  Crops take a lot of artist time for the many stages, so they're not something we add casually out of hand.  But corn and potatoes will certainly eventually come, among many others.

oop been around so long that I thought the old ethos was still being upheld, I guess I didn't consider looking at the newer additions like raccons oof

On 1/6/2022 at 11:37 AM, redram said:

I wouldn't mind all new world crops being separated by vast oceans at some point. Especially after an ocean update that includes boats.

• Like 4

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.