Can VintageStory run on Arch Linux?

Avior

I'm about to buy Vintage Story, but I have Manjaro KDE 64 bit on my 11 years old pc, I hate Microsoft and I'd prefer to stay away from their softwares. Windows 10 isn't the best OS out there, I guess I don't need to explain why, anyone who used any Linux distro knows what I'm talking about.

Minecraft 1.13 runs just fine on Arch, no problems. So, would Vintage Story run flawlessly too?

And, is it difficult to install?

Thanks. I wanted to make sure I won't have any troubles with compatibility before purchasing.

My toaster runs Minecraft quite well for its specs, so I believe I should be able to play VintageStory too. My specs are:

CPU: Intel Pentium T3200 2.0 GHz

RAM: 4 GB
VIDEO: Nvidia GeForce 8200m G (256 MB)

The whole system runs on x64, so the performance is a little higher than usual. Holds up high render distance pretty good with minor FPS drops at 16 or more chunks, normally Minecraft runs between 20 and 30 FPS.

2 hours ago, Avior said:

Thanks. I wanted to make sure I won't have any troubles with compatibility before purchasing.

My toaster runs Minecraft quite well for its specs, so I believe I should be able to play VintageStory too. My specs are:

CPU: Intel Pentium T3200 2.0 GHz

RAM: 4 GB
VIDEO: Nvidia GeForce 8200m G (256 MB)

The whole system runs on x64, so the performance is a little higher than usual. Holds up high render distance pretty good with minor FPS drops at 16 or more chunks, normally Minecraft runs between 20 and 30 FPS.

Oh wow, sorry, that is way below minimum specs. I'll give you a free key though because I'm curious what the frame rate is for you.

I think it should be a problem on my machine rather than something going wrong with the package itself, because none of the packages installs properly. I might need to force a Pacman reinsallation, that might sort the issue. And I'm also running into issues launching other games like OpenClonk, I hope it's not a driver compatibility problem because my pc can't run Nvidia 304 drivers on native resolution. Instead I'm using the newest 340xx drivers. 

Oh yeah, no, that's not correct. Since user-created packages aren't reviewed, it's expected of users to have a look at how they're made up to understand them and ensure they're not doing something bad, ideally. Many user packages build software from source, and even if not - as is the case for the vintagestory package - you still have to create the package that you actually pass to pacman to install.

AUR helpers do the usually manual steps automatically, even fetching other AUR packages for you. Trizen makes you inspect the package files and confirm before going ahead and building them. But there's a lot of alternatives.

So, basically using the downloaded package I need to build the package that I'll then install using Pacman? I was attempting to install directly the downloaded file, silly me...

I'll give it a try as soon as I have some time, I'm pretty busy with school these days.

Archived