i cant find Ore. suggestions are appriciated

Alessandro De Col

Ok, so i 've ask about prospectiong. i 've learn how to use it and i start doing it.

the pick says i have very good chanse to find X ore, moderate chanse to find Y and so on, so i  though i've found a good spot. i start digging. 6x6 wide 55 block deep until i reach quarz bottom(lol did you get it? quarz bottom?...nevermind)...7 copper pickaxe broken...not a single block of ANYTHING, just granite and chalk..

so i just cry, rinse and repeat the process. prospectingPick says "yeah boy. thats the spot, trust me! " and i was all like "yeay boiiii".... again not a single block of ANYTHING.. and now i'm  running out of copper! i just have enough for 2/3 more pickaxe(maybe)

what i'm doing it wrong?

3 hours ago, Alessandro De Col said:

what i'm doing it wrong?

What specific readings did you get, for what ores?  It's important to realize that different ores have different permils that qualify as "High", "Very High", etc.  So for instance if you're looking for like, copper, or coal, those are Very high at like 16permil and above or something.  They occur in huge deposits.   But on the other hand cassiterite and bismuth have their Very High permil at something like 4.   They occur in much smaller deposits. It can be difficult to blind-mine and hit small deposits like cassiterite and bismuth.  It may be easier to try to find caves in the vicinity and explore them. 

If you're looking for low occurance ores like cassiterite, I'd suggest making sure that you've zeroed in as much as possible.  Are you taking a lot of readings to find the absolute dead center of the deposit?  When blind mining for cassiterite I usually end up with samples every 8 blocks or less in the general area of the center, to find the absolute most central point of the deposit.   And I'd suggest not bothering blind mining for cassiterite below 3.5 permil, unless you have no other option.

I would suggest not using a 6x6 shaft.  There's a lot of waste there.   Realize that deposits occur in horizontal discs.  You only need to find one piece of that disc, to find the rest.  If you do a vertical shaft of just one block, you have effectively checked 5 columns for ore (the shaft itself, and each of the adjacent 4 columns).  Your 6x6 shaft is checking 60 blocks (the 36 actual shaft blocks, and 24 exposed adjacent blocks).  If you instead used those 36 shafts as individual shafts, you'd be checking 36x5 = 180 blocks.  3x as many.  Moroever, if you spread those shafts out, you're checking a much larger area.   I consider an average cassiterite deposit to be 8 blocks or so in diameter.  So if you want to do a thorough survey for cassiterite, I'd suggest individual shafts 8 blocks apart.  You'll be 3x as efficient with the pick, but you'll be even more effective than that because you'll cover a much larger area.  You only need to hit 1 part of that average deposit to find it.  When you do a solid 6x6 shaft, you're honestly wasting a lot of pick.  And honestly you could probably go 12 or 16 apart and still have a pretty good chance.  The one downside to individual shafts is that it take more ladders.  You can also do like some people do, and do a spiraling staircase, no ladders required (this does use double the pick, but also explores roughly twice the blocks).   Or use water (until we get drowning mechanic).  Another benefit to spreading out your shafts is that you're also more likely to find hidden caverns that don't have a surface entrance, which you can then explore pick-free.  Although that kind of takes nerves of steel these days due to locusts.

And one other thing, whenever possible I like to mine in areas that have at least a few ores, to maximize my chance of coming up with *something*.  Even if only one is high, and the others are poor.  If you only have one ore sample, and it's a small ore like cassiterite, coming up empty will not be uncommon.  I've found samples with up to 10 ores in one spot, 3 of them being high or better.

Edited by redram

honestly i dont remember  now, as i've said i've reached rock bottom so i cant take any more info. (i'll try on the wall next itme i cant just open the game RIGHT now).

and i'm not looking for something specific..just ANITHING else but copper, i want to move to advance crafting but i need different ore  to craft tier 3 tools.

...if i remember correctly was very good chanse about Gold and silver and moderate chanse about bismoth and the rest..

(was like 7 kind of ore, and all have good chances!)

i'm aware that  if i can find one block i can easly find the rest...it just wont happen! lso..i dont find any caverns... i though i will..but i dont

anbd sorry...but..waht do you mena with zeroed?

On 10/7/2018 at 3:24 AM, Alessandro De Col said:

i really dont know how big is an ingame chuck so i just guessed it could be a 6x6. it could  be a 20x20 for what i know...

chunks are 32x32, technically.  And I think the wiki may misrepresent that.  It's not really all that important though.  The main thing to know is the probably size of the ore 'pad' you're looking for.   I generally classify them as five types:  Tiny (diamond, emerald), Small (cassiterite, bismuth), Medium (Limonite, Sphalerite, Copper), Large (both types of coal) and Huge (quartz).   Blind mining to me works best for medium size.  Smaller and it's hard to hit, larger and it's probably about as easy to find a cave.  Cassiterite/bismuth are tough, and if you're in dire need, and don't want to do the caving, I'd suggest try spacing your shafts at 8-12 blocks apart. 

Edited by redram

i'm really start to think that there is something wrong with my game/world.

i know there are few chances, and i've tryed to mining with a strategy...but still, how many chances are there to not find anything? 5 more days (in real life). a lot of copper pikaxe broken...and still NOTHING of ANYTHING!  

i'm mining by layers now. i go down like 5 bloks, than i spread wide like 10 in all directionand than 5 more down, and repeat.

In the picture i've found a cave and the reading is the same as the surface...i just broke 3 more pikaxe here.. i cant spot a singleblok of anithing.. i dont think is normal

0001.png

3 hours ago, Alessandro De Col said:

i'm mining by layers now. i go down like 5 bloks, than i spread wide like 10 in all directionand than 5 more down, and repeat.

In the current world gen, that's not an efficient way to mine, for two reasons.  Primarly, ores generate in flat discs.   You're far more likely to find them using a vertical tunnel, because you'd moving perpendicular to the pad.   Versus mining horizontally, where you're trying to hit it 'edge on'.    Also, mining horizontally means you have to mine out twice the blocks for your tunnel, because of the height of your character.   It really is far better to mine vertically, unless ladders are an issue.  Also you honestly just need to find a better area.   Here's an example of a super-nice propicking I got recently on chromtech. 

10sample.png.13aeb57871d5300c0ac98b9bfb3625bc.png

Ten samples present in one spot, very unusual.  But moreover, of those 10, 4 are decent, one is very high.   I got lucky and found a really deep cave system right by there, braved the locusts, and came out with 4 stacks of tin (I think it was all below Y 50, half directly by a lava pool), 1 stack of bismuth, half a stack of limonite, 1 stack of lignite, 3 stacks of copper, and 2 stacks of sulfur.  The bismuth I got lucky with, but all the rest of that had decent or better results.  Caving is far faster than blind mining, and caving in a rich area like that will be very rewarding.  Blind mining for small deposit stuff like cassiterite and bismuth, you really really need to find a better sample.   Keep in mind that if you're trying to find bronze making materials, silver and gold are locked in quartz, which itself takes a bronze or better tool to mine.  So there's no point in looking for gold and silver if you don't already have bronze tools, or ore bombs.  To have ore bombs without bronze you'd need to have found the bituminous coal in a loot vessel, because bituminous coal also requires bronze or better to mine.

but i'm mining horizontally! (you already suggested that  and i've take that suggestion) i just goo deep like 5 bloks and than create a plaza around me! than 5 more deep and again(you already mentioned that ore comes in disk so i start looking for that! leaving only i blok high to serve as floor)

the point is i've go far FAAAR away in all the directions..and what i posted is the best i've found so far... i also tryed to mine underwater (with funny results with the water physics...i should build an house there or something)

i just want bronze...or more copper to replenish my pickaxe supply. at this point i dont know what to do anymore. 

6 minutes ago, Alessandro De Col said:

but i'm mining horizontally! (you already suggested that  and i've take that suggestion)

I don't think I did suggest that.  Vertical shafts give the best chance to hit a deposit.  It's ok to do 'poke holes' out of that vertical shaft, 5 blocks away, because you can do that as far as you can reach without having to mine 2 high.   But it takes a lot more time to do poke holes.

It's really not surprising that you're coming up empty in that area.  All your samples are poor or worse, except gold, but that only occurs in quartz so it's  special case, and even though 1% qualifies as 'high' for gold, is not very large anyway. 

• 2 years later...

It can be as simple as taking a propick reading at the entrance to any cave you're considering entering.  If you get some interesting results in decent or better quantity, check it out.  If not, move on.  But propick use is about required to get consistent results, that much is true.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.