you want the recipe? You have to take it from my cold dead hands Bro!

Alessandro De Col

what IF.....and i'm just thinking out loud here...what IF.. you have to earn the recipes?...

i'll try to explain myself better:

Crafting is fun, but usually you just have to find the right component and you can go. How about a progression system?

Every characters starts with a basic crafting recipe (firepit, torch, stonecrafting etcx) but than he have to perform specific action IN the game to learn new recipe. 

like: after you've crafted all the basic stone tools, you can now craft the copper...after you have done all the copper tools one you can start smithing..and so on

Alas better and cooler recipe cant be learned and one must explore the world! Fighint though monsters, explore forgotten cave in search of FRAGMENTS (like..fuse 3 and you get a new recipe) or the rarest material you need to craft one!

i know that sounds way out of line for this kind of game, but in my hopinion it would add more time to the gameplay and variety to it. it also would feel more rewarding 

p.s.: nerf wolfs damage bro!

I'm very much opposed to this idea.  I think control of progression can and should be done in a way that is more "natural".  Building in hoops to jump through, like making every single tool possible of one metal type, just seems overly contrived, arbitrary and artificial to me.  Things such as needing charcoal to make steel are not only more natural feeling, but are also one of the defining features of both VS and TFC.  You need charcoal to make steel because charcoal is used to make steel.  It just makes sense.  Why would I need to make a bronze hoe, scythe, knife, etc. in order to be able to begin working iron?

I'm not so opposed to finding recipes in dungeons, as long as they are non-essential items.  I'm totally down with giving players something rare, un-craftable, or unique in a dungeon that makes you want to explore.  But being required to find some random ruin to get your hands on some absolutely essential item that you need to progress in the main tech tree of the game sounds like anything but fun.

Maybe tie in skill levels to unlock recipes.  For centuries or more, man had access to iron ore but not the knowledge to process it.  A player would need to spend time working with say copper to advance to the bronze skill level, then to iron.  It wouldn't matter which  items you made, as long as it was enough to increase your skill with working metals to the next stage.  Empyrion:GS has a system where you gain points by doing things like gathering, hunting, building.  When you have enough points, you can unlock the recipes from the next level.  Recipes found in dungeons etc. could be for cool rare stuff like armor sets.

That sounds more practicable, though I imagine that it could lead to grinding XP.  The need for large amounts of ores just to make items for tech tree progress could be a problem for new players if the more well-established players have exhausted more resources than they might have otherwise.  I suppose ore frequency and mineral richness could be tweaked accordingly though.

i'm just planting seeds here XD...

mine was just istance to get an idea. ofc crafting everysingle avaible stone tools before be able to craft copper would be ....."excessive"

7 hours ago, Exscorbizorb said:

I'm totally down with giving players something rare, un-craftable, or unique in a dungeon that makes you want to explore.  But being required to find some random ruin to get your hands on some absolutely essential item that you need to progress in the main tech tree of the game sounds like anything but fun.

nonono i agree, i've mentioned SOME methods like monsters drop, craft bluprints fragments yourself or finding in remote place. what i should be more specific maybe is that i intended GENERIC bluprint Fragments. you get  3 (or so) and you can unlock the next step...or something like that. 

4 hours ago, WillOfStone said:

Maybe tie in skill levels to unlock recipes.

yes also. 

...almost forgot.. nerf-wolf-damage

On 10/13/2018 at 3:19 PM, Exscorbizorb said:

That sounds more practicable, though I imagine that it could lead to grinding XP.  The need for large amounts of ores just to make items for tech tree progress could be a problem for new players if the more well-established players have exhausted more resources than they might have otherwise.  I suppose ore frequency and mineral richness could be tweaked accordingly though.

It would definitely be something that would need a lot of play testing for balance reasons. Not too easy, but not too grindy.  A lot of games struggle to find that sweet spot.

Archived