How do I draw on crates with paper and pigment?

Fizel

I have an Aged Crate (closed) that I've combined in the crafting grid with parchment and deposited 10 oak logs. Looking at the handbook, it looks like I should be able to use pigment to draw the contents of the crate on the paper. I've held shift and ctrl with charcoal in my hand and tried both left and right clicking but I can't get it to draw. What am I missing?

Charcoal says Ctrl + RMB to draw but the crate says Ctrl + RMB is to withdraw all contents of the chest (and that's what is happening to me)

I just ran into this but truthfully I am not sure if its a mod or specific crate, but the only age crates I can write are the ones that have blank signs I have to hit the shift key. I didn't try it with charcoal though, just black coal. And it doesn't write, it just shows the object inside crate.

Edited by DX65

I've used charcoal, black coal, cinnabar, and lapis lazuli to label the parchment attached to crates, not sure why it's not working for you with charcoal. I do know that brown coal doesn't work, is there any chance you might have accidentally been trying to use brown coal?

Edited by TristamIzumi

Well now I don't know what I was doing wrong.  I tried multiple times over many different play sessions to use charcoal (definitely not brown coal) and never got it to work. But I just recorded a video to demo it and it worked fine.

So let's chalk this one up to user error I guess.

I noticed after I posted this that some of my crates with signs wouldn't let me write on them but others it would. I don't remember the exact error message so who knows. I may have mess up too.

I am not sure how to manage this or if its a bug or glitch with certain mods like carry capacity was interfering with interactions with crates and other usual shift key interactions.

Weird thing is sometimes certain keys work other times not. Like shift key working to write on some crates and other times not.

And then like recently my G key to sit didn't work and I thought it was glitch but the problem was I was stuck on fly, can't sit while flying. LOL

Edited by DX65

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...
11 hours ago, Evrint said:

For any other lurkers you need to craft the parchment w/ a crate. I don't think you can place it on directly. 1.18.5

The OP stated they used the crafting grid. The issue might have been that they weren't aiming at the paper's hitbox while trying to draw, assuming it worked that way back in 2022.

Edited by Bumber

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.