Shield didn't autoreplace

Steel General

You're right, it's not a bug.

Auto-replacing of tools is tied to using tools. That is, you actively perform an action with them (throw a spear, break a block, harvest a carcass, etc), and if in the process of that action the tool leaves your actively selected hotbar slot, a new one is pulled from the inventory into that slot.

Your shield was not actively selected in the hotbar, and it was not actively being used (the shield just piggybacks off of the crouched state). So the existing code doesn't respond to it breaking.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/11/2022 at 9:52 AM, Irulana said:

It's good idea. I think beside shield in offhand. armor you wearing should be autoreplaced too.

That would be too much imo.

Changing a piece of armor takes at least some time irl we are speaking of at least minutes to make sure it sits right (even a helmet would take, depending on the type of helmet, at least about 10 seconds and both hands: take off old one, let go of old one, take new one, put on head and adjust it).
Drawing a new tool is done in a matter of moments (let go of old one, draw new one from the belt/side of backpack/sheath).
Drawing a shield is only slightly more time consuming as it can be worn on the back on a strap, (as long as the old one isn't still strapped to you it's let go of old shield, turning motion, adjusting the shoulder and arm carrying it). Though I don't know why its usage is tied to crouching, that would make some sense when using the shield against a ranged attack not traveling in an arc but for everything else you'd want to raise the shield not cower behind it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/26/2022 at 2:48 PM, Hal13 said:

That would be too much imo.

Changing a piece of armor takes at least some time irl we are speaking of at least minutes to make sure it sits right (even a helmet would take, depending on the type of helmet, at least about 10 seconds and both hands: take off old one, let go of old one, take new one, put on head and adjust it).
Drawing a new tool is done in a matter of moments (let go of old one, draw new one from the belt/side of backpack/sheath).
Drawing a shield is only slightly more time consuming as it can be worn on the back on a strap, (as long as the old one isn't still strapped to you it's let go of old shield, turning motion, adjusting the shoulder and arm carrying it). Though I don't know why its usage is tied to crouching, that would make some sense when using the shield against a ranged attack not traveling in an arc but for everything else you'd want to raise the shield not cower behind it.

There is already fast type of dressing up armor when you rick clicking it on your tool bar ;). I'm traveling without armor and if I see danger it's 1s and I'm wearing armor. So additional fast armor change should not be a problem. I'm using steal armor so I need to change very rarely but still it would be useful. Another useful feature would be fast key to undress the armor for healing purposes, using C is slow and boring.

You have all your tools, shield and armor in you backpack so if you want to it be realistic you should put it on ground and take the stuff ;)

As for shield it need a lot of more work, I stoped using it, very unuseful against nightmare drifters, and you need to put away your light. It works much better in minecraft.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.