If you would ever consider joining a multiplayer server... (please answer these questions)

Conquest of Blocks

1. what would your preferred play-style be (in survival)?

A - Just having fun doing whatever you/ everybody want(s) with only a few simple rules.

B - Doing (optional) Light Roleplay with strict rules regarding build style (e.g. medieval only) in order to create a believable world.

C - Hardcore Roleplay with strict rules regarding build style plus behaviour in conversations and actions between players.

2. if light or hardcore rp, use custom classes like "miner", "farmer", "blacksmith", "tailor", "hunter" and so on

A - Yes

B - No, vanilla classes only

3. regarding custom classes (see above)...

A - Every class may work whatever & trade with any items they want to (e.g. Miners may go hunt wolves and sell their hides ...).

B - Every class may work whatever, but NOT trade with any items they want (e.g. Miners may go hunt wolves but is allowed to use their drops for personal use only.)

C - Restrict classes to activities only that fit that class (e.g. Miners are allowed to mine and sell ores only) in favour for economy & trading with other classes

4. player teleporting...

A - no teleporters, except the underground translocators that can be found in the world

B - add more teleports to places of interest without costs for the player

C - add the ability to teleport to places but with costs for the player (e.g. teleport items that have to be crafted first)

5. what kind of landscape do you prefer?

A - mostly flat land, few mountains

B - huge majestic mountains and valleys with some flat land here and there

C - somewhat in between

6. server should wipe it's world

A - Never (or if necessary only)

B - Every 3 months

C - Every 6 months

D - Every 12 months

7. make use of mods

A - no, vanilla only

B - very few selected mods

C - most popular mods available

8. use a whitelist and check new members first

A - no, everybody may join right away

B - yes, use a whitelist

Don't have any serious intention of playing multiplayer, but I do have an alternative potential answer for 3:

3A2 - Every class may work whatever & trade with any items they want to, but will have increased penalties for "off-spec" jobs (e.g. Miners get fewer resources from butchered animals).

It nudges people more towards their specialization if they want to make any real "profit," but it avoids outright forbidding doing tasks outside of their profession.

If possible, tailoring the penalties to be more nuanced could improve things further, e.g. Miners getting significantly less hides and fat, but a much more modest reduction to bones and meat.

And an alternative for 7:

7B2 - A few select mods, but avoiding any that do serious mechanical overhauls or add a lot of content. Mods that I use and could see potentially being implemented would be stuff like StepUp (Allows players to walk up single block faces so that they don't need to constantly jump while traveling) and the corpse mod (A good compromise between keeping items on death and having everything drop on the ground and despawning if players don't find their corpse quickly). A mod that I use that I could see being blacklisted for being to substantial would be Bullseye, as that does a complete overhaul and rebalance of ranged combat.

• Like 1

hmm, i would think a combo of the playstyles best.  Come in, have a good time if you wanna, RP if you wanna... 
When you start making restrictions , such as medieval only, you start placing limitations on creativity and ingenuity. That, i believe is a multi-player "killer" in the long run. 

So much of VS, is more apt to be multi-player supportive for RP, in mid tier point, after players get their toon out basic bush craft survival. Early game, elicits loads more "cooperative" types of "survival" , until a point society can start to thrive and begin flourishing. 
Keep in mind, not everyone is going to advance at the same rates. Some players might start earlier than others, some will not be able to dedicate as much play time as others too. 

I know if I got online, it'd be to interact and play with others, but I still want the freedom to create and live how i wish... like if i wanted to build a "modern style" house with flat roof ( instead of pitched or slanted types... i wouldn't want someone coming along, dogging me because it's not their style, or how they'd enjoy a dwelling. Or rule-monger saying, this is medieval setting, that doesn't "fit" the theme... 
If i wanna carve out the side of a hill or mountain, and dwell like a hermatic dwarf ... well, all i'm saying is I simply don't desire forced mechanics , or things that lessen my creative fun. 

But playing, especially cooperatively like with others, is something i wish to do at some point. I'm new, so getting my feet wet with controls, learning handbook recipies, what works and what doesn't atm. In fact, i've really looked to see whats offered. 

As far as whitelisting, thats good way to limit unessisary traffic/random builds/mining from casual participants popping in to just check things out. 
However, its also somewhat a limitation , as players are bit lazy, often will not go through steps to get whitelisted. Perhaps, theres some form of "grey-listing" or blend of open-policy could be done? What that'd be? i got no idea ...

Wipes... eeep... hmm if things were laggy , maybe important... but at the same time, who wants to put effort in creating a homestead in a place, only to have it go away every so often? 
However, wipes would ensure fairness, that other players get chance at mining nodes around the start area , better build options/places ... and of course, wipes out little Jimmy's mud hut made, when he logged in that one time and never came back. 

Mods that make sense to have, like StepUp, Carry Capacity , but nothing that over-complicates, an already complex system. 

6 hours ago, Anthony frailey said:

I know if I got online, it'd be to interact and play with others, but I still want the freedom to create and live how i wish... like if i wanted to build a "modern style" house with flat roof ( instead of pitched or slanted types... i wouldn't want someone coming along, dogging me because it's not their style, or how they'd enjoy a dwelling.

An alternative would be to enforce those kinds of rules in a limited area around a settlement to maintain a cohesive theme.

...Are we giving birth to Vintage Story HOAs?

Edited by Ashery
  • Like 1

1a.

4b, assuming you mean moderator added teleporters, whether or not to points of interest, e.g., periodically adding something near spawn that allows teleport to unexplored areas and fresh, untapped resources.

5b maybe? It should not be too hard to find a valley with a plot, say, 20x40 that has no more than 4 or 5 blocks vertical change, but I'd be fine if they were 300 or 400 tiles (or more) apart.

6a.

7b.

8a.

Truthfully I love COB textures, they are incredible but the only reason I would join a multiplayer isn't really listed. It would because of the friendships I already have with the people involved and stuff we do together being enhanced by multiplayer. And it can also really suck majorly if you don't have friends already that share similar interest in game play or have same time to spend.

• 2 weeks later...

I've got two answers, depending on what you mean by "multiplayer server."

MY OWN MULTIPLAYER SERVER.
Where we control all settings and mods, and most importantly, know everyone who joins (a small group of friends).

1A, 2A, 3B, 4C, 5C, 6A, 7C, 8A,

BIG "ALL IN" MULTIPLAYER SERVER
Open to the general public and the great unwashed.

1B, 2A, 3B, 4C, 5C, 6A, 7C, 8B

Actually, my lists are pretty similar, so I'll put it into words.

Own Server: Do what you want. All rules and mods are open to be changed. Few restrictions.

Public Server: Enough controls to prevent griefing (eg land claims), teleports between clan member bases for free, hack prevention (scan for file changes etc).
Let each server determine if it wants to have a style, house rules, enforce classes or not etc.

Not wishing to compare to Minecraft, but . . . comparing to Minecraft  . . . one of its great strengths is that it is "many things to many people." Leave things open, and you'll naturally get servers of "builders" - split into "modern builders, medieval builders, pixel art" etc, and "strict RPG", "anything goes" etc.

But that is all dependent on critical mass. If there are rules such as "Thou must finder a Tailor before you can make pants" then you'll turn a niche game into an even more restrictive endeavor.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.