Do you know how to make texture blocks?

DX65

Do you know how to make texture blocks?

I need help. I need someone with few hours to spare to walk me through it first time because I am having really hard time with this. I had friend sorta help but they are pretty busy.

I don't have tons of money but if it takes that just to help me reduced the stress and headaches I might be willing to pay someone for few hours to help me with the basics.

I have some basic blocks. I have been trying really hard to make flower and plant blocks, also I want to make blocks that there isn't in game deep browns, bark only blocks for chisel projects, etc. but thinking its too complicated because one I need the textures to look right and then some how get them in the game without losing the detail.

I have had some issues with vs mod creator, I finally figured out how to download it but file doesn't work once I got inside my computer and as far blender I don't have lot of experience.

Just throwing it out, here is hoping someone out there is reading this with few hours and lot of patience and willingness to help.

Most recent block I attempted but I don't know how it will look in game is blooming bamboo, I just finished the top part in Asperite.

Here is the top of face of blooming bamboo. No clue if it will work though

https://imgur.com/WYmQGOq  hope link works  WYmQGOq.png

This side view egQLyQA.png (111×116) (imgur.com) egQLyQA.png

Edited by DX65

12 minutes ago, l33tmaan said:

Were you looking for something like this?

image.png.f47f58610373066e36230e2d4ab85ae1.png

Yeah that's cool to see it in actual cube. I am not sure but something is off about the top but not exactly sure what that is. Maybe I should have made the cubes less than 3 pixels wide and apart. What really want is know exactly how to do what you did by myself without having flashing light mixed thoroughly with a migraine. If you got time to show me, please msg me privately and we can work out details. Is there away to do that here?

Edited by DX65

I just used the VSModelCreator, you need Java for it to work. 16x16x16 voxels corresponds to the same size in-game, but the sizes of the textures you posted won't work. They have to be a multiple of 8, so I changed them to be 32x32 pixels since that's what I usually work with, personally.

image.thumb.png.33136a122a538ee93c5eb6eff48fd3e9.png

4 minutes ago, l33tmaan said:

I just used the VSModelCreator, you need Java for it to work. 16x16x16 voxels corresponds to the same size in-game, but the sizes of the textures you posted won't work. They have to be a multiple of 8, so I changed them to be 32x32 pixels since that's what I usually work with, personally.

image.thumb.png.33136a122a538ee93c5eb6eff48fd3e9.png

I have attempt to download the VS Model maker but it won't run for me. I assume I got java, I play java Minecraft. I don't know what the problem is truthfully. I keep wanting custom blocks but everytime I try on my own migraine or something else gets in the way. I don't really want to build and texture elsewhere. I really like this game. the top was much bigger for viewing purposes. I have trying to draw in 32 pixels. Are you suggesting I try 16's? 

Edited by DX65

5 minutes ago, l33tmaan said:

launch.bat, launch.exe, and vsmodelcreator.jar should all work. Do none of them function?

I don't remember what files unzipped and all but launch.exe was first attempt. Literally nothing. It kept wanting to install something but it was same thing over and over again it had no launch function.

I posted my tiny grid its planning device for texture artist. I am use to working a whole lot bigger. link isn't working though its in discord.

But trying to figure out way I do this type of stuff here. It's been hard. Maybe we can come up with something to inspire others and help me figure out how to do my own textures in VS while helping others if they want to do the same?

Edited by DX65

Personally, I use Photoshop to make textures, but I hear some people use GIMP as well. Maybe some other people can suggest image editing programs you could use to make the textures at the right resolutions. 

Either way, I can't say I know what's going on with your VSModelCreator...what was it trying to install?

5 minutes ago, l33tmaan said:

Personally, I use Photoshop to make textures, but I hear some people use GIMP as well. Maybe some other people can suggest image editing programs you could use to make the textures at the right resolutions. 

Either way, I can't say I know what's going on with your VSModelCreator...what was it trying to install?

I prefer photoshop I have messing around a bit with individual tiny flowers on postcard but its bit limited without obj file and I can't do multiple sides because I don't know how. I thought Asperitie might help with tinier pixel work. VSModelCreator kept trying to install itself everytime I clicked launch, nothing else.

Edited by DX65

About the VS Modmaker, I had assumed Java was on my computer already. But it isn't because Java and Microsoft's browser the edge don't get along. Hmm. I hadn't thought of that since I play modded Minecraft Java version after I got this computer. I just assumed I had Java.

So I will download whatever is newest version of Java I can and try the VS modmaker again. I am dying to try to make new blocks, I get new material for it everyday.

I went over the tutorial and made some progress about how to place the texture, but it wasn't easy to figure out then I got stumped, tried to save file, it look like it was working but didn't. Basically it disappeared. Still stuck:( But I at least I figured out how to drag the texture in but it wasn't easy for me to get there and after that pretty much got stumped because I don't know what I am doing or simply isn't working right. I wouldn't know either way.

So I gave it another attempt and this time I did make json file and got the code but its still ? mark block.

I am trying to figure out whats wrong. This sorta final attempt to share the process because I am getting very discouraged.

I will post the code and then images of what I see.

Here is code that was generated. The file though looks strange and green notebook plus image, not a zip file and I don't know how to create it.

https://imgur.com/wvGu731

{
    "editor": {
        "allAngles": false,
        "entityTextureMode": false
    },
    "textureWidth": 16,
    "textureHeight": 16,
    "textureSizes": {
    },
    "textures": {
        "bushgone2far1png": "flowers/png/bushgone2far1png"
    },
    "elements": [
        {
            "name": "Cube1",
            "from": [ 5.0, 1.0, 7.0 ], 
            "to": [ 6.0, 2.0, 8.0 ], 
            "rotationOrigin": [ 5.0, 1.0, 7.0 ],
            "faces": {
                "north": { "texture": "#bushgone2far1png", "uv": [ 0.0, 16.0, 16.0, 0.0 ], "autoUv": false },
                "east": { "texture": "#bushgone2far1png", "uv": [ 0.0, 0.0, 15.0, 15.0 ], "autoUv": false },
                "south": { "texture": "#bushgone2far1png", "uv": [ 1.0, 0.0, 16.0, 16.0 ], "autoUv": false },
                "west": { "texture": "#bushgone2far1png", "uv": [ 0.0, 0.0, 14.0, 12.0 ], "autoUv": false },
                "up": { "texture": "#bushgone2far1png", "uv": [ 1.0, 0.0, 16.0, 16.0 ], "autoUv": false },
                "down": { "texture": "#bushgone2far1png", "uv": [ 0.0, 0.0, 16.0, 16.0 ], "glow": 1, "autoUv": false, "windMode": [3,3,-1,-1] }
            }
        }
    ]}

Edited by DX65

Search for "flower" to locate your two new blocks in game.

Long story short
- I moved your two shape.json files from blocktypes to shapes.  Shape files need to live in that shapes folder somewhere.
- I created two block.json files in blocktypes.  These are the files that kinda bring everything together.  What I used was VERY simple though.
- I completely removed the textures references from your shape files.  They can live in there or in the block.json files (in blocktypes).  I usually put those texture references in the blocktypes json files.

A bit of a mistake on my part:  In those two blocktypes json files, I didn't even reference your shapes...oops sorry!  I'm assuming that they're both full size blocks, in which case they don't even need a shape.  If you want to add your shapes to those, you will need to add a little more to your blocktype json files:

i.e.

shape: { base: "dx65flower" },

or

shape: { base: "flowerbush1" },

Doing so will probably fix the texture mappings if they don't look right to you.

Edited by Spear and Fang
  • Cookie time 1

12 minutes ago, Spear and Fang said:

Long story short
- I moved your two shape.json files from blocktypes to shapes.  Shape files need to live in that shapes folder somewhere.
- I created two block.json files in blocktypes.  These are the files that kinda bring everything together.  What I used was VERY simple though.
- I completely removed the textures references from your shape files.  They can live in there or in the block.json files (in blocktypes).  I usually put those testure references in the block.json files.

A bit of a mistake on my part:  In those two blocktypes json files, I didn't even reference your shapes...oops sorry!  I'm assuming that they're both full size blocks, in which case they don't even need a shape.  If you want to add your shapes to those, you will need to add a little more to your blocktype json files:

i.e.

or

Doing so will probably fix the texture mappings if they don't look right to you.

38 minutes ago, Spear and Fang said:

got it

Ok thanks I am fricking clueless in private chat with someone trying to figure it out. Ugh the steps and headaches I have been having ugh.

15 hours ago, Spear and Fang said:

Long story short
- I completely removed the textures references from your shape files.  They can live in there or in the block.json files (in blocktypes).  I usually put those texture references in the blocktypes json files.

i.e.

or

I am really confused. Please explain to me like a 5 year old what I am suppose to do? I literally don't understand, I need direct steps. Like go to the file enter blank or go to vs mod maker and open file again. Simple steps.

I get it needs a shape and there a certain language and way to use the words to get json file to recognize it as a object in game but what I don't understand is how to do this correctly.

Edited by DX65

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.