Adventures in Cool Climes: A lot of opportunity and fun, but...

Liu Bei

In the suggestions feed I described my first adventures in Cool Climate and difficulties with early storage because there weren't any reeds and that rope baskets didn't work. Maelstrom suggested there was a bug with reeds being found in that climate, since they should be found there and that maybe in nomad style I should find them. Thorfinn gave me the clue I needed: firepits work as early storage. who knew? In addition he said that 10 spaces in personal storage were enough. Now, to me that was a good challenge!

So off I went to a new try at seed 313, the same one I used before. Sure enough, I succeeded quite well, sort of...

Important points:
  - Firepits work as early storage, 2 places per pit, takes the edge off early game in the North.
  - I roamed and explored over the map a lot.  Ended up with 4200 blocks x 2500 blocks and guess what? I found a nice patch of reeds about 1400 blocks away. So I got some decent storage after pelting a bunch of sheep skins.
  - I found plenty of copper but no cassiterite, but that's to be expected...

Also, I found plenty of blue clay and fire clay.

So next, I was looking for both oaks and limestone for leather making.  I found some marble 1500 blocks away and limestone further, and later green marble right under my spawn point! So half the problem solved.

I wandered all over the map looking for oak.  There were a number of maple/pine forests at the boundary of larch forests, but alas, no oaks. I think there may be no oak in the North or at least not a very high probability...

That is the least of the problems in the North, there's nothing to make cloth from.  I found only spelt, turnips and rye.  I even found enough rye seeds to start a small farm.  So far, no flax.  I'm not giving up, but I'm not expecting any success at the moment.

I have enjoyed every moment of exploring the Northern Lands, but without flax and oak it's hard to see that there is any windmill in my future or decent clothing when winter comes.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The world gen properties for trees are obscured a bit because there are different varieties of trees defined in the world gen that are all the same class of tree in game, but crops are straight forward:

Both spelt and flax have the same minimum temperature (3C), so if you're able to find one, you should be able to find the other. The rest of their requirements are nearly identical, too (0.38 min rain for spelt, 0.35 for flax, for instance). On top of that, flax has 2.5x the spawn rate of spelt. Rye's really the main crop that can be found in significantly colder regions (-10C min), while turnips are found in only marginally colder climates than spelt and flax (1C).

• Like 1

Fortunately you don't need flax for decent winter clothes - the fur coat/boots/gloves can be made with medium and large pelts, so if you're able to do enough hunting you should be alright in terms of clothing.The windmill is another issue, though.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Do you know that you can use the chests in the traders' carts for storage? Could be a lot easier to manage than spamming firepits for storage.

On 5/2/2022 at 2:11 AM, allstreets said:

Fortunately you don't need flax for decent winter clothes - the fur coat/boots/gloves can be made with medium and large pelts, so if you're able to do enough hunting you should be alright in terms of clothing.The windmill is another issue, though.

Getting the fat for the fur clothing is gonna be difficult though.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 5/1/2022 at 5:20 PM, Liu Bei said:

I have enjoyed every moment of exploring the Northern Lands, but without flax and oak it's hard to see that there is any windmill in my future or decent clothing when winter comes.

There is coming (if it's not there already) "Cracked Vessel (Arctic Supplies) which will provide flax. Not oak though.

See: https://wiki.vintagestory.at/index.php?title=Cracked_vessel

Or check your Survival Handbook for same.

I did that! Well, put forward the suggestion. See here:

The firepit trick seems very useful. A bit "gaming the system" for my tastes. But then again, I never survived my polar starts and gave up on those, so you're ahead of me.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.