Wolves and wolf spawning/respawning questions

Gerritt McGill

So, I just recently bought the game and am doing my first playthrough. Got a dirt hut set up, found some clay, gradually collecting enough copper nuggets to smelt my first hammer and pickaxe - Nothing around but the occasional portal and the usual neutral wildlife. As soon as the 4th day hit, though, I started hearing wolf howls at night and since then, it's just wolves without end. A pair live in the hills near my house, a pair took up residence near my clay deposit, the forest (which had been peaceful and quiet the first few days) suddenly has no less than 5 wolves in it, taking the long way around to get to my copper deposit put me in the path of another 3 wolves. No matter how many I kill there are always more.

Is this normal, that wolves wouldn't spawn until so late in my playthrough? And the number of them? I'm guessing that wolves respawn based on some sort of timer, since it doesn't seem to matter how many I kill near my house, but if anyone could provide some help/insight into how to deal with them I'd be grateful - it's turned what was a really fun playthrough into a bit of a slog, since I can't go more than 16 blocks without running into multiple wolves and I don't have anything more advanced than improvised armor and stone spears.

Speaking from my own experience, I've observed that it takes months for wolves to respawn, and that's with twenty day months.

One of the common methods for fighting wolves, and the one that I personally use in the early game, is to immediately head for a nearby body of water the moment a wolf aggros you, as their slow speed in shallow water makes them easy pickings.

Yeah, wolves can be a real nuisance, especially in early game. The number you run into in a playthrough seems to vary, though whether that's due to forest biome size and how many are near you or random generation I'm not sure. I've also seen some discussions on whether wolf breeding rates are too high which leads me to think that they may spawn/breed in larger numbers than other creatures which can make it feel like there's millions of them compared to others.

The best way to handle them that I've found is to be aggressive. It's completely counter to how I always felt I should handle them, but turns out a few good hits with a copper longblade sends them running -- and boy do they run. I usually make a blade right after a pickax specifically to deal with wolves even if it slows down my tech progress a bit. They'll chase you for-freaking-ever, too, so I find I'd rather take a hit or two and have them run from me than have to abandon whatever I'm doing and flee halfway across the map.

This definitely helped, although I think I may have to agree that the breeding/spawning rate is a bit too high - after casting my first copper sword, I headed outside to find literally 3 wolves camped right in front of my door. I managed to mine enough copper to possibly get some lamellar going so hopefully that will allow me to (checks notes) exit my one-room starter hut without being eaten.

All complaints about wolves aside though I'm really having a blast playing this game, I've got to un-learn a few bad habits that I picked up from some other block-based games but something about having to work for literal hours just to unlock "door" is really doing it for me. Thanks for the advice and help here.

• Like 1

@Gerritt McGill Sounds like you camped near a wolf spawn point.  As mentioned you can take the conventional route in dealing with the canine infestation.  You can also dig a pit to trap wolves in.  This unconventional method keeps wolves around, but in a way that is harmless to you and reduces (potentially eliminating) wolf spawns that are more disastrous to your continued adventures.

As other's comments indicate, not all forests spawn wolves so prolifically.  Part of your situation is RNG seems to hate you.

Edited by Maelstrom

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.