Does rainfall provide enough moisture to farmland?

noname hero

I'm a newbie player and I know the question sounds weird, or maybe I'm running into a bug, but... Does rainfall actually count towards farmland moisture in a way that allows for reasonable farming without nearby water blocks and if yes, what's the definition of reasonable that I should expect? The handbook farming guide says one can use natural rainfall to provide water for farming but I've just noticed it doesn't seem to in a meaningful way. I mean... I'm settled in an area with Almost all the time rainfall, it is raining so hard my character is soaking wet, and I'm watching moisture levels on both unused farmland and farmland growing crops go down?!? I've used a watering can when it wasn't raining, so the farmland had *some* moisture, but now it's raining hard and the soil is drying up? Some blocks are at 0% moisture after several in-game hours of rain in <10°C temperatures?

The effect isn't cut and dry, if you can pardon the pun. Some blocks sometimes do tick up, like from 20% to 25%. But where I *know* I wasn't watering with that can because I haven't planted anything there I have a dozen blocks all at zero moisture even after standing there and watching the rain hit them. I have buckets galore, so I could just dig a few holes and be done with the problem, but I would like to use fields that don't have lots of weird holes or ditches. So...

Does anyone have a rough idea how big a hit on farming efficiency should I expect if I depend on rainfall alone?

Good tip about the watering can, I haven't made that mistake yet but it might have made for an unpleasant surprise if I did. But using it is a chore I only perform when I'm waiting for something else and have a bit of spare time, not a stable source of moisture.

I do use irrigation for most fields now, because the unpredictability of rainfall effects was too much for a nervous newbie expecting their first winter, but I'd still like to know what not using would mean percentage-wise.

As for looking up, it was open fields, with no trees or roof. As I wrote, I could even watch the rain hit those tiles and the moisture would sometimes tick up. Really heavy rain could sometimes even get moisture up to 100%-ish. But even that would fall back to 0% way too often despite being in a super-rainy area. So if anyone here has experience with non-irrigated fields, I'd be happy to hear whet their experiences are. I don't think my crops could die even after a prolonged dry spell but even them taking too long to mature can be bad to my progress. The amount of flax I seem to be going through is definitely a reason to keep my farming at least somewhat efficient.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.