steel wolf or bug? + despawn items

FalcoUcet

Hi

i am new in this game. I like it at first feel.  
but i dont know if 12 arrow hit to wolf and he is still alive is really "natural" and normal or simple any bug. 

He hit me 2x and i die. I hit him 12x  and he still alive. He cannot be natural wolf, he must have any steel armor or what?

Next problem - despawn items is too fast.
Wolf kill me and i spawn near. I try steal him my items on ground, but he kill me again, because he is in the same location.  

Ok i spawn near again and i try stealth again and success - only stealth. Item despawn before my eyes maybe 3 blocks from me. 

This items are long time playing, because i must carry all items. Any chest i cannot create, because i have no saw => i have no planks. 
I very very like, if i can create planks with axe. It is not fiction. Planks can be create by axe. It is not such effective, but CAN be. 

• Wolf Bait 1

Welcome to the forums :)

The item despawn timer is 10 minutes. That's already twice as long as in Minecraft, for example. Further increasing the timer risks inviting problems, as each itemstack sitting unattended in the world costs performance. The longer each itemstack lives, the easier it is to get a larger number of them at the same time, and thus, the easier it is to kill your FPS.

As for the wolf's perceived invulnerability - I didn't see what you saw, but as per the numbers in the game files, a wolf has 10 hp and the weakest arrow (crude arrow fired from a crude bow) does 2.25 damage. Therefore four hits at most should make a wolf flee, and a fifth hit should kill it. Perhaps at most one extra arrow if you play a class with a ranged combat weakness. A wolf surviving twelve hits is impossible. Remember that anytime you do not hear an audible "ping" noise when shooting a creature, your arrow did not actually hit; also, keep in mind that wolves appear in pairs fairly often. You might have killed one but been killed by the other, and just confused them for being one creature.

To increase your chances of survival against wolves, craft and wear improvised armor. It costs nearly nothing and has no downsides to wearing it. And while it'll only last you a single fight with a wolf, it'll reduce enough damage to make the wolf need an extra hit, and that's usually enough for you to win even in melee (or at least make it flee). Furthermore, a varied diet will improve your base HP over time, so you can take more hits that way too. (But of course dying resets it.)

Finally, there are other ways for storing items aside from chests. Next to the reed baskets you use to increase your inventory at the start of the game, there is a second type of reed basket with a slightly different recipe that can be placed on the ground like a chest. Once you have access to clay, you can craft large storage vessels which offer more storage space. Chests are sort of the endgame storage solution - you're not supposed to start with them.

Edited by Streetwind
Typos
  • Thanks 1

Thanks you for quick reply. :)

10 minutes despawn
Yes, it is ok. I dont know, why now. Maybe i wait in dead screen and do any else. Ok my bad. :)

wolf 
I dont know why he alive.  I see "hit effect". But i fight with wolf 2x. At first wolf flee, but i have no more arrow to kill him. It is posible, that he regenerate to full 10hp? At first i have only 6 arrows. So I probably 4x hit, he flee and i have no arrow to kill him.  OK :) 
Yes, he can another wolf. I didnt get any name him yet. :D I hope that it is posible to tame wolf. :) 

armor
Yes. It is next, what i want try

food
It is little Big problém for me now. :D But it sounds, that food gain hp like food in Valheim. Great! :)  

chests
ah so! I try 
 to 
place reed basket on ground, but i cannot. Thanks for tip on another recipes.  :) 
Agree, chest sounds good like endgame :)  

Thank you for explain and tips. :) 

Edited by FalcoUcet

Yes, wounded enemies will heal back to full if you leave them alone long enough.

Sadly, you cannot tame wolves.

Food becomes a lot easier once you can use a cooking pot. Cooked meals are much better food than raw ingredients. Also, try to avoid taking damage, healing makes your food meter go down fast. Sometimes you must fight, and you can't avoid being hurt - but IF you can avoid it, try not to get hurt. Don't jump down high places, don't get too close to male sheep, etc.

If you want to watch a good and up-to-date tutorial/guide playthrough video series, I can recommend this one. But if you are someone who wants to discover things on your own, that's fine too. :)

6 hours ago, FalcoUcet said:

I try  to  place reed basket on ground, but i cannot.

There are two types of reed baskets:

1 costs 10 reeds and expands your player inventory when it is placed in its special position (one of the four slots to the right of the regular bar -- sorry that I do not know the correct terminology!).

The other reed basket costs 24 reeds and creates a lidded chest that sits on the ground. For either type, if it is in your hot bar, it can be placed upon the ground by right clicking on the ground (or where ever) just like any other item that you are placing (it might be shift + right click). However, the one that increases player inventory can ONLY be placed if you remove it from it's special position.

Another tip for food: carrying your torch in the off-hand makes you hungry faster.

Edited by dakko

Thnak you for tips. Yes, i want discover things on your own. :)
I played yesterday and cooking pot is really good!  After i realized, that i also need bowl to eat. But it was only one day more. 

Yes reed basket on ground is great. :) i tried similar recipe to chest like wood chest in MC, but not with 3x reed. :D

Some wolves and boars are killed. I was looking forward to a better bow, but all my seed(vegetable + FLAX) are ruined.  Probably too much water.
Farming and mining is next for my focus to discovery. Hehehe :D    

4 hours ago, FalcoUcet said:

Thnak you for tips. Yes, i want discover things on your own. :)
I played yesterday and cooking pot is really good!  After i realized, that i also need bowl to eat. But it was only one day more. 

Yes reed basket on ground is great. :) i tried similar recipe to chest like wood chest in MC, but not with 3x reed. :D

Some wolves and boars are killed. I was looking forward to a better bow, but all my seed(vegetable + FLAX) are ruined.  Probably too much water.
Farming and mining is next for my focus to discovery. Hehehe :D    

if you hit the "H" key, it pulls up the handbook, which lets you look at and search all the items in the game and their recipes. (It also has some short guides to basic mechanics.)

If you planted some crops but they are now grey and dead, they may have been eaten by rabbits. Look at the dead plant, and the
"block info" text should explain why it died. You can surround your garden with a fence to keep animals out; the "rough-hewn fence" and "rough-hewn gate" just need sticks and logs, they don't need a saw.

Edited by Philtre
more info
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.