Save custom worldGen settings?

SongOfRuth
Go to solution Solved by dakko,

I've looked around and seen a couple of old-ish posts asking this. Is it possible to "save" a custom worldGen setup?
- by "custom worldGen", I mean the settings one sets when choosing "Customize" on the "Create New World" page/screen

I'm a programmer (that's what we called ourselves years ago, now known as "coder" or the hoy-paloy "software engineer") so I can "json" if someone points me in the right direction(-ish).

Or if there is a mod and I'm just not searching right for it.

I have limited play time available so it's entirely possible what I'm asking exists and I just haven't found it (recently searched for something, varying case and spacing, only to find I neglected to also search for dashes in the place of spaces, oy!)

In the other postings I saw, some wondered "why?".  Short answer is it's faster to serially create worlds looking for a good spawn instead of spawning and then spending time searching the world for a good place. And since I play for entertainment, relaxation, I tend to make the game as easy as possible while still retaining an illusion of challenge - think Exploration but easier and with longer time spans for almost everything (except trees, trees need to grow faster dang it, lol).

• Solution

I would like that ability too. We do have the ability to copy and paste settings from a previously generated world:

Go to the "Your Worlds" screen as if you would like to select a saved game to play. Select the 'edit' icon for the save of your choice. Within that window is a line for "playstyle" - you want to select 'copy.' Then, within the customize window for creating a new world, simply 'paste' and the playstyle you copied will be applied to the entire window.

If any of the VS Team reads this: please make an easier way to save a custom world gen setup. Having a saved customized seraph would be much appreciated as well. Thanks!

Edited by dakko
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, SongOfRuth said:

I've looked around and seen a couple of old-ish posts asking this. Is it possible to "save" a custom worldGen setup?
- by "custom worldGen", I mean the settings one sets when choosing "Customize" on the "Create New World" page/screen

I'm a programmer (that's what we called ourselves years ago, now known as "coder" or the hoy-paloy "software engineer") so I can "json" if someone points me in the right direction(-ish).

Or if there is a mod and I'm just not searching right for it.

I have limited play time available so it's entirely possible what I'm asking exists and I just haven't found it (recently searched for something, varying case and spacing, only to find I neglected to also search for dashes in the place of spaces, oy!)

In the other postings I saw, some wondered "why?".  Short answer is it's faster to serially create worlds looking for a good spawn instead of spawning and then spending time searching the world for a good place. And since I play for entertainment, relaxation, I tend to make the game as easy as possible while still retaining an illusion of challenge - think Exploration but easier and with longer time spans for almost everything (except trees, trees need to grow faster dang it, lol).

You can copy the settings to a clipboard and paste it to a document, and then just paste from clipboard in the settings when generating a new world. This button here will do it for an existing world, and a similar button exists when setting up a new world. To paste it in, just a Ctrl+V will do the trick, no button for that.

image.png.daff4b46a7b5f8b47f86a4d07d807d6b.png

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.