Different cheeses / new types

Unsolved_

Simple more cheeses. Depending on how you take the steps, under what conditions and circumstances you let the cheese mature, you get a different variety, some of which have different colors and qualities. For example: Emental, cave cheese, mountain cheese, Gouda, Swiss cheese, Parmesan, lowlands, Brie, sheep's cheese, blah blah. If you add herbs to the production process, you get herb cheese or e.g.: cheddar with rosemary. Each cheese could have a different quality depending on the ripening time: Raw Cheese, Ripening Cheese, Riped Cheese, Well Riped Cheese, Delicious Cheese, Noble Cheese ("cheese" would then replaced with the cheese name)

Blue cheese could also be given new varieties., the tooltip of the player who made the cheese could be in the tooltip., or some cheeses could be made with new milk e.g. from new animals such as cows and/or goats. A lot remains open on this topic. But I need more than cheddar, cheddar more cheddar and blue cheese. Maybe you agree with me, maybe not, but that would be a cool feature in the game.

• Like 1

It's funny you made this, just a few hours ago I was wondering to myself what's really added by having so many different foods that are largely the same.

Why do we need 10 different vegetables, 4 different meats, 36(!!) mushrooms, 6 grains, 5 berries, and 11 tree fruits.  This thought was a reaction to a flippant wish that bees would produce different honey based on the flowers near the skep, because IRL, honey flavour [not sure about nutrients; I mean, it's 99% sugar, innit?] is very closely tied to the flower types proximal to the hive; watermelon honey is very different than clover honey, for example.

But then I though "well what would really be the gameplay difference?"  Then that led me to wonder what gameplay difference there is in all the other foods we have.  Like, why isn't meat just meat?  Sure there's some satiation difference, but that could be handled at least partly by making "bushmeat" the standard and scaling up the dropped quantity of other meats.  I'd get it if we only had 3 vegetables and grains; 1 for each soil nutrient.  But why do we need 10 and 6 (we don't even have a P-grain!)?  The one I really don't get, though, is currents.  Why do we need 3 of the exact same berries?  The only difference between them is the colour of the berries.  I swear, it seems the only reason is inventory bloat.

Note:  I'm not saying meat should all be consolidated, or that anything should be removed, or that more stuff shouldn't be added.  I was just thinking thinky thoughts while doing some menial 'labour' in the game.

I remember when we went from 3 mushrooms to 36. That sure was a pain in my ass!

Honestly, I enjoy the variety. I would prefer it if foods were a little more distinct than they are now, but the reason we have 3 different meats is because each has a wildly different amount of nutrition and come from different animal types. Bushmeat comes from 'annoying' enemies, poultry from 'neutral' enemies, and redmeat from 'dangerous' ones. The only problem with my categorization is that boars aren't really "dangerous", but let's be real - they SHOULD be. 

The mushrooms grow in just about every climate in the game but some are more conditional than others. I think there's great value in being to tell what environment you're in based on the plant and animal life. 

Then again, my answer to most forms of bloat is 'MAKE IT MORE COMPLICATED SO THE BLOAT IS USEFUL'. Not always a popular answer.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, l33tmaan said:

I remember when we went from 3 mushrooms to 36. That sure was a pain in my ass!

Honestly, I enjoy the variety. I would prefer it if foods were a little more distinct than they are now, but the reason we have 3 different meats is because each has a wildly different amount of nutrition and come from different animal types. Bushmeat comes from 'annoying' enemies, poultry from 'neutral' enemies, and redmeat from 'dangerous' ones. The only problem with my categorization is that boars aren't really "dangerous", but let's be real - they SHOULD be. 

The mushrooms grow in just about every climate in the game but some are more conditional than others. I think there's great value in being to tell what environment you're in based on the plant and animal life. 

Then again, my answer to most forms of bloat is 'MAKE IT MORE COMPLICATED SO THE BLOAT IS USEFUL'. Not always a popular answer.

Right, I get that, but like, say a bear drops an average of 4 redmeat.  Red meat is around 2-3 times as calorie-dense satiating as bushmeat, so he could just drop somewhere around 10 bushmeat on average, and you're still getting the same amount of calories satiation.  There's a case to be made for bushmeat being better, even though it's lower calorie satiation, as it lets you better-balance your diet, and make sure you don't over-fill yourself.  I'd rather have two 750 calorie satiation meals than one 1500 meal.

Oh yes, I absolutely agree with make the bloat useful through differentiation.  I'm not sure I'd necessarily call that complexity, but it certainly appears so at first glance.

BTW, I am using your Expanded Foods.  I don't really understand all of it, but I'm happy to have bone broth!

You're forgetting that redmeat also takes up far less inventory space for its nutrition value than bushmeat. You have to carry, what, 2-3 times as much bushmeat to get an equivalent amount of nutrition from redmeat? That's part of what makes it so valuable and one good reason to keep the meats separate. 

Now, for berries and mushrooms where the difference is far less stark? Yeah, the only way they're differentiated right now is by how long they last. Could use some expansion or something.

Don't bears drop bushmeat? That kind of didn't sit well with me, considering that pigs are red meat and both are omnivores. I hope that you're correct and bears do drop red meat.

I like the idea of more varieties of cheese.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.