dizzychosen

Idea to craft kindling from firewood using axe in the crafting grid. Intended as an alternative to sticks for creating fire pits, charcoal kilns, and pit kilns. Sticks should remain as a crafting material and still an option for fueling fires/ kilns. Kindling could just be exclusive for fueling, albeit less efficient method to get the same jobs started. For example doubling the kindling required for each kiln/ fire. Kindling recipe could result in just 8 per firewood. Save sticks for crafting!

Fire pits and charcoal pits don't require sticks, you use firewood to construct them. Only the pit kilns need two layers of sticks. Also, 3 sticks are equivalent to 1 piece of firewood, so if kindling had half the burn time of sticks, 8 would be more efficient than the firewood they're made from.

Not that I see a reason to have this in the first place; if you prune trees before chopping them down, you should be swimming in sticks when gathering wood for making charcoal or boards.

• Like 2

Don't get me wrong, @dizzychosen, its not that it's a bad idea. The number of seconds and burn temperature could be tweaked until it does make sense. It's more realistic if every time you relight a firepit or forge, that you add at least some kindling. It's pretty hard to light coal with just a torch. My grandfather used to start a fairly small wood fire (a bit above kindling level -- sticks maybe the thickness of an adult thumb) before adding coal to his forge.

It's just a level of complexity I'm not sure adds enough interest to the game to be worth the hassle with every fire.

• Like 2

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.