Snowball earth Food Items?

Thex0r

I want to try a Snowball earth world gen the last 2 attempts I have made ended in starvation. Is there any food there other than Bears and Foxes? I've killed a few foxes but most of the time they eventually hit me once and significantly shorten my attempt lol.
Thanks!

That's pretty much it. Food vessels drop grain. Low fertility soil in some of the ruins, so with glacier ice, you can make a greenhouse if you can get some lucky drops from seed vessels.

It's lean enough on food that I think you pretty much have to cheese the polar bears. Pit them, drown them, fling a couple inventory's worth of spears from beyond aggro range, etc.

• Like 1

I started a hardcore Snowball Earth game with Icy starting temp about the same time as your post.  I did starve my first go, death by bear the second attempt, but now in my newest world I feel very stable.  Bear, foxes and the TRADER are the most stable food sources. Carrying 2 spears makes it easy to dispatch foxes but bears are a challenge unless you carry about 8 spears and build a quick 4 block tower to "hunt" from. Hares are a rare find as well. Your first days is to raid as many visible ruins as possible (while walking) to get food and foraging materials like reeds and grass. Also you want to explore and hopefully find an Agriculture trader. Once found, best to set up camp close to the trader and trees and off the glacier of course.  I am working to make a greenhouse now for carrots and turnips which should really cement my food needs.

In the early stages of the game I just loot and scoot when underground.  Run past the drifters, dont go too deep, and block off a ruin when I am inside exploring.  Also important to make some wood armor fast to reduce throw damage from drifters, which are insanely accurate with their rocks.

My problem has always been getting back out. Snow collapses, and ice is lousy to try to parkour. It just seems to be too much risk for too little reward.

[EDIT]

Sure, you can occasionally find somewhere you neither have to nerdpole to get out, or you can smooth things as you head down, but I don't believe I've ever run into that PLUS an agricultural trader. Though, to be fair, I've not really paid much attention to traders in snowball, as it did not occur to me that maybe that was an option.

[/EDIT]

Edited by Thorfinn

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.