Hay as mulch to provide a moisture bonus, implemented the same way as the "slow fertilizers"

Guimoute

I believe that would add educational value to the nice agriculture system we already have, and be a fun optional game mechanic. Those who do permaculture IRL will agree.

Right-clicking farmland with a dry grass item in hand should apply a layer of hay to it, providing a small moisture bonus (say 10%) and arguably a few percents of nitrogen. It would have an overlay texture similar to what is found in the `Vintagestory\assets\survival\textures\block\soil\fertilizer` folder, except it would be a bit fuller on the first stages, maybe slightly 3D. The moisture bonus would decay the same way slow fertilizers decay.

Edited by Guimoute
  • Like 8
  • Amazing! 1

• 3 months later...

I agree with you all, although not a must have right now, including mulching to the game could provide many advantages to the player on top of refining the gardening experience.  Let's also not forget some of the other added benefits of straw mulching :

1. Helps retain heat in the winter and protects from overheating in the summer (through less evaporation).  It is a soil temperature regulator.

Straw mulch can decrease the rate of evaporation by 35% (Russell JC (1939) The effect of surface cover on soil moisture losses by evaporation).  This could be simulated in-game with a better water retention after rainfall, going from 100% to standard soil humidity a third slower; also frost and overheating protection by a few degrees.

2. Increase harvest output up to almost 50% in some cases.

The following table provides various data.   The improvement in the economic yield of various crops due to mulching

With so many advantages I feel it would be necessary to ensure the mulching process is not something straight forward to do as a player.  Maybe ensuring the hay is properly dried before applying so it doesn't turn into rot on the crop; Maybe making the receipe for hay much harder (9 grass instead of 4?); Any other idea?

Edited by Nedrakus

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.