Is there a way to get vintage story to read from a different folder location than Roaming?

Small Valley Productions
Go to solution Solved by Streetwind,

I shuffle between a desktop and a laptop for school and travel a lot for it. I want to find a way to get VS to read my worlds folder from the USB i use for everything else.
Unfortunately, no matter how hard I try, it always reads from my roaming folder and I've found that copying the world and map back and forth creates some jank in terms of longevity. 
Any help is appreciated!

On 10/6/2023 at 3:54 PM, Thorfinn said:

If that's a regular stick with USB-A, you probably won't be happy with the results. But a good USB-C works well. Don't bother with the cheap ones, though. They are no better than the junk As.

USB type A and USB type C makes no difference. The only thing that actually matters is the speed/version of the USB dongle and port. The newest version of USB that your computer supports is the highest speed/transfer rate you will get even if you theoretically found a USB stick that could transfer an infinite amount of data at once.

so, find a USB stick that matches your USB hub's version (or better, doesn't matter though. don't pay more for a newer version unless you plan on upgrading your computer's USB.) and make sure the speed is the highest supported by that version of USB. Playing games off USB devices is generally not recommended, but can be done with high enough speed/transfer rates on your devices.

as far as the original question goes, Streetwind is correct. 

• Thanks 1

OK, thanks. I was told that there was no way to get (I forget which) 3.2 Gen 2 or maybe 3.1 Gen 2x2 or something like that into a new box without it being USB-C. Never really looked into it too much -- the devices I had that were capable of 10 and 20 Gb/s were USB-C anyway. I just had my tech guy order whatever he thought I needed, and it was USB-C for the fast stuff, A for the rest.

Edited by Thorfinn

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.