Weird mouse bug(locking up) after installing vintage story.

estancio

This is weird, hoping someone can tell me whats going on, give me a clue where to look.

After installing Vintage story, my mouse will periodically lock up hard, as in i have to reboot windows to get it to start working again. the mouse freezes on the screen and if i was clicking a button, it continues to record clicks, dug quite a hole once before i could get out of the game because of this.

The behavior started the very day i installed the game. It has only once occured outside the game, but it has occured outside the game, of the few dozen times it has happened.(although i had been playing earlier)

It can take two minutes, it can take two hours, and occasionally it goes all day without a problem.

The mouse itself is still lit up. and switching ports does nothing, the mouse is still locked, so its not the mouse, or the port, its microsoft's handling of the mouse. it immediately starts working on rebooting. i tried leaving it alone for a half hour once to see if it would recover, no joy.

The keyboard continues to work fine, so i can save and get out of the game. and in fact there are no other issues like strange crashes or errors in this or any other application.. its just the mouse.The computer is definetly not overheating.

Read where this could be a sign of a virus, so i formated and reinstalled windows 10 redownloading all the files, which right now is really just vintage story. so no virus.

its a crappy little logitech m100, but it works fine, or did. Tried grabbing logitechs software but wow is that bad. i uninstalled it before i could verify if the problem persisted. I will try again (reluctantly)  if no other option comes up.(its mouse speed settings are painful)

Now seriously vintage story isn't causing this,I did see where some people are having mouse issues in game, but come on,how. however it did install .net 7... so maybe? unfortunately uninstalling that means no vintage story. but i can try it for a few days/week to see. again, it doesn't reliably happen.

is there anything else it installs, updates that i didn't catch other than .net 7? Is it doing something wierd with the mouse that most applications don't

its an i7 4820 on a gigabyte x79-up4. 32 gigs ram on an SSD. with a 1050ti nvidia. i'm clearing the recommended settings, and again, the game otherwise runs fine, not that any of that matters, i'm just grasping here.

anybody got any clues, cause this is madening. any help appreciated.

I was having mouse problems recently, coincidentally started after I was playing around with VS's mouse settings. I have not yet installed .net 7 btw, and was not having the same problem that you're having.

Long story short: replaced mouse and problems stopped. Just wish I'd replaced it sooner.

I really appreciate the responses. thank you.

no other game controllers installed. just the mouse and keyboard. do have a usb hard drive installed on what might be the same usb controller, its off, but might as well unplug it as well just because this is so odd(its always been there though)

was thinking about upgrading my mouse after christmas. been finding this generic logitech lacks finesse needed for higher difficulties in other games.

on a positive note. it dawned on me this gigabyte motherboard has like 4 seperate usb controllers, theres over a dozen usb ports on it and i foolishly only tried one other port last time the mouse crapped out, pretty sure it was on a seperate controller, but went ahead and tried another port that im possitive is a different controller, and it started working. this means atleast i don't have to reboot everytime, i just have to play musical usb slots till i figure this out. but the keyboard is on that same controller, and never dies. so it really has to be microsoft and the mouse, and switching controllers just reinitializes it.

should probably leave it on this port for now and see if it locks up again anyway, just to see.

Any help is appreciated, and thanks again.

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.