Red clay and brown clay?

Khornet

Any reason why these two aren't added as resources into world generation? 
Fire clay and blue clay are both relatively abundant (one to two "veins" will last you almost forever and I have dozens marked on my map), so it shouldn't be too gameplay-detrimental to add red clay and brown clay as varieties as well.

The game already supports their blocks (shingles, bricks and hardened clay), red and brown clay doesn't exist in the handbook/creative only in the raw form.
Red bricks are obviously "the" bricks out there in real life, so it feels a bit lame to limit them as construction materials in-game to the building materials trader exclusively. 
IF the issue here is deliberately limiting red clay because "if it's pretty it needs to be rare", then I simply propose red clay nodes be appropriately difficult to find/rare to spawn. Brown clay is ugly, so it can share spawning rules with blue clay. So, in order of rarity: brown/blue -> fire -> red.

I would also personally welcome white clay (kaolinite) as the rarest type of clay to find, so that we can fire our own porcelain. Floor tiles are a bit out of reach outside of mods, I suppose, but that would create a solid grounds for their support as well.

Of course, adding all that is another worldgen change, and I know that's a spicy issue...

I'd strongly suggest adding to your game one of the mods that adds the two clay Just looking at features that get added, it appears to me that if it's a popular mod, it often gets fast tracked, unless it's in a direction away from the game's vision. Animal traps, prospecting info, and new sheep all come to mind in this release.

1 hour ago, Thorfinn said:

I'd strongly suggest adding to your game one of the mods that adds the two clay Just looking at features that get added, it appears to me that if it's a popular mod, it often gets fast tracked, unless it's in a direction away from the game's vision. Animal traps, prospecting info, and new sheep all come to mind in this release.

As a personal principle I play unmodded, but do link it, maybe it will convince me to finally commit. 

I don't know that you even have to use it. Downloading it is enough that so far as anyone can tell you are using it.

I'm not actually recommending any of them, including one I can't quite remember the name of, and cannot seem to find right now. I used to use one a couple three versions ago, but anymore when I want to use more color in pottery, I go to Bricklayers.

What I used to use is MoreClay. I see there's also BetterClay, but have no knowledge of it other than someone on my server said Hypnotique AKA Hypi uses it, and likes it, but doesn't look like it's been updated to 1.19 yet. While MoreClay does all the recipe stuff just fine, the resulting object is the same as the object made of blue clay, with the exception of shingles, which already have the distinct colors.

I also like the kaolinite idea, though it's not something I'd go out of my way for. "Yippee! I'm eating Cabbage Gruel (15% Spoiled) out of a porcelain bowl!" said no one ever.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.