Farm plots and Moisture question, what am i doing wrong?

Brian West1
Go to solution Solved by Arcanus,

I can't seem to get my new farm to get any moisture. I tried 1 water with 8 surrounding farm plots, then i tried to do a strip of water and farm plots beside it, then i tried to 1 plot with water on all side and i get nothing. There is nothing overhead at all. I have tried to restart several times.  I was able to get 75% on a farm plot next to an existing pond about 40 squares away.  What's the deal?

2024-01-13_13-52-08.png

2024-01-13_13-48-23.png

• Solution

Are you using freshwater and not saltwater to provide the moisture? That's all I can think of tbh. From the wiki:

If the farmland is within 3 blocks of a freshwater source block, it will be converted from dry to moist farmland.

Oceans and saltwater were introduced in version 1.18.0. Salt water cannot be used for farming

TBH I don't know if saltwater will change the moisture content although I suspect it should but there may be a mechanic that stops it as it is useless for farming.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

In a similar situation...here's my current farm setup...and I can't get decent moisture to the farmland...and it's surrounded.  From everything I can find, it's not saltwater on my end, but is there a way to be sure?  The screenshot shows the bucket of water, and it seems to be freshwater, or at least not called out as saltwater, specifically.

At least, the screenshot WOULD show this...if it would allow me to upload.  

Edited to add link: https://imgur.com/a/cPFczkR, thanks for the suggestion, @Streetwind

Edited by Xandyr1978

Hmmm. I never really pay attention to that. But I'm pretty sure that's right. The block that touches water us supposed to be 75%, one block away from the water is 50%, etc, So the center block in your array should only read 50%, barring rain.

You aren't use to playing in a rainy climate, are you? 

FWIW, the standard way of doing the farms is 1 water surrounded by 8 farmland. Makes a nice 3x3, and if you put a cooper's reed in the tile with the water, it makes scything easy.

1 hour ago, Thorfinn said:

Hmmm. I never really pay attention to that. But I'm pretty sure that's right. The block that touches water us supposed to be 75%, one block away from the water is 50%, etc, So the center block in your array should only read 50%, barring rain.

You aren't use to playing in a rainy climate, are you? 

FWIW, the standard way of doing the farms is 1 water surrounded by 8 farmland. Makes a nice 3x3, and if you put a cooper's reed in the tile with the water, it makes scything easy.

I did the 1:8 ratio before, but ran into similar issues (though at the time, I think moisture was bugged.  Still, with a 3x3 setup with water all around it, are the water effects not cumulative?  Because that center block would be getting 50% from each water block that's within 2 blocks, does it not?  Also, thanks for taking the time, @Thorfinn

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/8/2024 at 2:12 AM, Streetwind said:

Nope, it's not cumulative. Farmland that's a block away from the closest water source gets 50%, period; even if there are multiple such sources an identical distance away.

Ahhhhhhh.  Then I've misunderstood completely.  LOL.  Thanks for the clarification, @Streetwind.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.