A few basic ideas

bbushh

I thought I would start with a few things I HATE about Minecraft..

a) Nowhere is special (underground especially)....where should I mine?.....who cares...one place is as good as the next. The mining in MC is brutal....tedium with no chance of anything interesting happening,,,,awful! I feel there should be regions of rich mineralization with many more areas with little or none...this will encourage players to travel and explore the huge map which is MC's best feature....it would also cause players to build infrastructure to move resources to areas they are needed.

b) The idea for having mobs pop into existence and then burn up in the sun was a good idea.....5 years ago!.....now the mobs are a pain in the neck and being able to harvest resources off them is dreadful. 

c) I work in the forest industry and I figgered out that one person in MC can carry over 100 truckloads of logs in their pocket!!...and then popular mods add backpacks!?.....SCREAM!! 

d) Again...I work in the forest industry and I resent how trees grow at such and absurd rate....this renders them virtually without value....of course in game forest fires would help alleviate this :)

e) The ability to immediately build a furnace and then quickly smelt anything is crazy....the chests that seem to be pocket dimensions also suck....and the magic work benches that do....ummmm....basically magic are awful.....and how the heck do I know how to do all this stuff?....

I could go on at some length about the things I dislike but here's the thing....I LOVE MC!! I have played little else for the last 5 years and have been saddened by the fact that it has progressed very little...a few mods have tried....TerraFirmaCraft, Lord of the Rings, Millenaire, MineFantasy and Vintagecraft but I do feel much more could be done....maybe it's just me.

A few ideas:

1) Minerals need to spawn in specific zones for specific reasons.....coal in sedimentary rock, silver and lead in quartz intrusions, diamonds in kimberlite pipes, etc.....these should be separate from each other and require some effort to locate....additionally, it would be nice if we had to do some infrastructure work when we mine kinda like the mining timbers in TFC....I have far to much to say on this so I will stop here....

2) The mobs need to be in some sort of societal structure...a pride of man eating lions, a village of goblins despoiling the forest, a buncha dwarves strip mining the minerals.....just a few random mad ideas....

3) Some way to reasonably represent encumbrance so railways, roads, wagons,wheelbarrows or something come into use....when I can carry enough resources to build a city in my pocket why would I ever have a railway?

4) Have trees take an atrociously long time to grow...or perhaps they shouldn't grow at all? ....or perhaps a slider to determine such.....they should also leave a stump when cut that is a pain to remove.....I speak from experience.

5) Things like furnaces should be more diverse and be multi-block structures like TFC, Immersive Engineering, Railcraft, etc.....but they should also be expensive and immobile...once placed the resources must be brought to them so choose wisely where you place that smelter...the ore might be 40 kilometers away.

Thanks for the opportunity to comment...I hope I haven't said anything too mad or unpleasant. I would prefer a face to face some time (skype or ventrilo or soemthing) but I understand if that is not feasible.

Cheerio 

Heya!

ad a) One of my core goals is to encourage exploring, so yes I do like the idea of distributed ores - but it has to be clearly communicated with the player. The player has to somehow get the information that e.g. this particular aera is iron-poor but x/y blocks east is iron rich. If that part is omitted it will quickly turn into a frustrating experience ("I have been searching for 4 hours long and still found no iron!")

This feature probably would need some sort of resource map the player can look at, which I can only add significantly later once the essentials are done.

ad b) Mobs spawning in dark places does two (imo) very positive things: Make dark areas dangerous and encourage base building. I wouldn't want to give up on these. This can still be combined with societial structures for mobs. I would actually like to extend upon Minecrafts mob spawner rooms and turn it into small mob bases with e.g. one leader mob ^_^
By the way, Vintagecraft has forest spiders that act a bit like a pack, if you come too close to the mob spawner they will chase you, but return back to the spawner once you run too far away.

ad c) Minecraft unfortunately has indeed made the minecart pretty useless with adding ender chests, horses and large inventories. I very much want to make minecarts a useful game mechanic. What is already in the works is a "Don't Starve" type of inventory. You have 10 hotbar slots and 4 backpack slots. So at first you can only 10 items until you build backpacks to hold more items. These backs will be specialized (e.g. Mining bag, Farming bag). Minecarts could be especially good at holding lots of stone and ore.

ad d) In Vintagecraft trees take about 2-3 times longer to grow and you can't bone meal them to immediately grow them. I wouldn't go any further than that though, because it makes building houses from wood too grindy.

ad e) In Vintagecraft furnaces are already more diverse, not very mobile and expensive in higher tiers. The first is just 3 logs so allows a quick start into the game and you can smelt basic tools practically everywhere. To smelt iron you need a bloomery, which you have to break apart everytime you smelt something and in the process you loose 1-2 fire bricks, which are expensive to craft, so still more or less mobile. And the (currently) final furnace, the blast furnace requires a lot of iron plates and a wind mill setup with a bellows powering the system - so the player is already encouraged to build a permanent smelting place. This system will be the same in Vintagestory

I, personally, would totally like trees to take really long time to grow. I would even suggest to make it according to a tree type - some take less time, some more. Also young, small trees (in size) could grow quicker then really large ones, which is similar to real life. Correctly applied fertilizers could also speed up the growing process so player can choose what to do: invest time in fertilizing (which would be much more complex then MC, of course) or wait it out until tree grows on his own.

Thanks for the replies.

ad a) I do agree something has to be in place to allow players to determine where the minerals are....the best I have seen was with TerraFirmaCraft with surface stones (float) that you picked up to examine (the change so that you could see if it was a nugget on the ground screwed this up) and using a prospectors pick....there could well be some more depth added to the prospecting phase...maybe the presence of old mine diggings that broke surface? (I always liked the abandoned mineshafts but kinda wondered why they started and ended underground).

ad b) I like the spider thing...sounds neat! I am fearful of spawners generally as players camp them and sandbag the endless mobs coming out of them for resources or experience....seems a bit corny.

ad c) Not much to say here...the dedicated bags sound cool....

ad d) We had a custom TFC server that made trees grow very slowly based on species....this ranged from about one week real time (aspen, pine) to about three weeks real time (fir, hickory) to "never grows" (sequoia, kapok). This was thought to be mad but it worked out very well.....players merely had to explore to find valuable timber stands to harvest....and silviculture (planting) became important to ensure the next crop. This was all exacerbated by having a central location where players could sell wood to the server for money and.....to describe all the spills and thrills that ensued would take to long...perhaps in conversation some time :)

ad e) Are the furnaces multi block? 

Another random idea.....when we ran our server (TFC) we had what we called an "external market" that purchased resources from players in return for money which was used in the server economy....these resources were basically deleted from the server and presumably used "somewhere else" (overseas, off planet, whatever). The one thing absent from this concept was an active market...the prices remained the same (unless I manually adjusted them). If there was a mechanism that adjusted prices by supply and demand and also random market shifts it could make for a whole new game on commodities marketing.....this is based on the fact I have never seen a server economy based on player interaction work very well.

Thanks again for the opportunity to comment....also please note these are only my mad ideas...I can only hope they help.

The Fire pit is 1 block, the bloomery 2 blocks, the blast furnace a lot: http://vcraftwiki.striver.net/wiki/File:BlastfurnaceSetup.png

I already wrote down some ideas for a dynamic market pricing system and another allowing for server markets to be connectable with one another. I will try those someday I hope. 

Sure, I'm happy to comment :)
I love conversing about ideas and game making. It's really just people interested in it that drives me to continue on it.

• 2 months later...

I found Vintage Terrain last week and waxed nostalgic over the BETA like biomes. Unfortunately, it doesn't play well with other mods, so it was give up Pam's Mods and Plant Mega Pack, or the cool terrain. You can't create floating orchards on a glass ceiling without plants. I'm eager to see how you take this game. Will it be another game of infinite possibilities to create and grow, or just another beat down game? I hope you keep creators in mind when building the mechanics. It would be cool if there were in game ways to create videos of what the land looked like before, during, and after a build. I also have the Native American tendency to make pets out of nearly any creature that comes near me. What kind of animals are you planning to have? Mere targets? Potential partners? Packs and herds of buddies? Oh! Paint! I get so tired of plain wood and grey stone walls! I want to decorate the walls of my dugout with colored plaster or dyed stone ala Galacticraft or Carpenters Blocks. One last point: I don't mind a little hard work, but could you still keep an offline or peaceful mode so that after living PvP at work for 10 hours a day, I don't have to come back and live PvP and Griefer Wars in my fantasy world? I want to build-not REbuild. Yes, I'm weird.

2 hours ago, Asilyad said:

I found Vintage Terrain last week and waxed nostalgic over the BETA like biomes. Unfortunately, it doesn't play well with other mods, so it was give up Pam's Mods and Plant Mega Pack, or the cool terrain. You can't create floating orchards on a glass ceiling without plants. I'm eager to see how you take this game. Will it be another game of infinite possibilities to create and grow, or just another beat down game? I hope you keep creators in mind when building the mechanics. It would be cool if there were in game ways to create videos of what the land looked like before, during, and after a build. I also have the Native American tendency to make pets out of nearly any creature that comes near me. What kind of animals are you planning to have? Mere targets? Potential partners? Packs and herds of buddies? Oh! Paint! I get so tired of plain wood and grey stone walls! I want to decorate the walls of my dugout with colored plaster or dyed stone ala Galacticraft or Carpenters Blocks. One last point: I don't mind a little hard work, but could you still keep an offline or peaceful mode so that after living PvP at work for 10 hours a day, I don't have to come back and live PvP and Griefer Wars in my fantasy world? I want to build-not REbuild. Yes, I'm weird.

It's all about freedom! That's what annoys me the most with all the other minecraft like games out there, they intentionally or unintentionally give the player some very specific goals. I specifically don't want to do that. In fact I'm thinking of releasing the game early with only creative mode ready.
Regarding animals I want do plan to make at least wolfes tameable and give them some sort of unique characteristics. Also Herds! The cows in vintagecraft already exhibit herding behavior if you watch closely (they tend to stay together as a group). I want passive, neutral and agressive animals. Probably feral versions of once domesticated animals (Boards, Mustangs, etc.)
Blocks can be easily added by players too (copy&paste a json file), so it should be a creative builders paradise.

There will certainly be a single player mode and a peaceful setting.

On ‎7‎/‎9‎/‎2016 at 2:14 PM, Tyron said:

It's all about freedom! That's what annoys me the most with all the other minecraft like games out there, they intentionally or unintentionally give the player some very specific goals. I specifically don't want to do that. In fact I'm thinking of releasing the game early with only creative mode ready.
Regarding animals I want do plan to make at least wolfes tameable and give them some sort of unique characteristics. Also Herds! The cows in vintagecraft already exhibit herding behavior if you watch closely (they tend to stay together as a group). I want passive, neutral and agressive animals. Probably feral versions of once domesticated animals (Boards, Mustangs, etc.)
Blocks can be easily added by players too (copy&paste a json file), so it should be a creative builders paradise.

There will certainly be a single player mode and a peaceful setting.

Yay! I'll be here when you're ready to release! At the moment I have a nice mountain in Minecraft with a peak above the cloud layer that is being hollowed out as either a Dwarf Fortress or an Elvin Stronghold. It's making the plain, polished mountain look more interesting. I'll be doubly tickled when I can do the same on an interesting mountain again. Hey, it's my thing! Oh, one more thing I hope can be built into the game is lighting. I like to plant Glowstone under water to light gardens and fountains. Plus strategically place blocks make waterfalls on the overhangs and strongholds look cool at night. When Personal Recipes was being supported, I crafted eight paper wrapped around a torch as a glowstone. I also cooked charcoal into coal, and coal into diamonds, that way I could keep the coal and diamond ore for decoration purposes. Stone was also crafted into gravel, then again into sand, and the sand cooked for glass. In the desert, sand and leaves or grass were combined with water to make soil. This required tons of planting, storing, harvesting, smelting, and crafting, but once lakes were caned, orchards fruited, windbreaks built, animal pens filled, and crop fountains started, it was worth it. I'm willing to work, but sometimes having a place to trade is nice as well. Kind of like Pam's Market Block where you can trade or purchase seeds and saplings. Maybe different trade blocks for ores, rocks, tools, or animals. Crafting a city inside a mountain leaves a LOT of stores you have no use for, and in desperate need of things like indoor crops and O.P. tools. Gotta feed my poor villagers when they move in.

There is already more advanced lighting in fact. It already supports light sources with double the range (up to 31 blocks instead of 15) and coloured lights is also nearly finished. Villages and trading will definitely a part of the game once the basics are done.

On ‎7‎/‎15‎/‎2016 at 1:26 AM, Tyron said:

There is already more advanced lighting in fact. It already supports light sources with double the range (up to 31 blocks instead of 15) and coloured lights is also nearly finished. Villages and trading will definitely a part of the game once the basics are done.

WOOHOO!

• 5 weeks later...

It all depends on the balance. The first survival version won't have trading yet, so gathering resources would become slow and unrewarding - pretty much what No mans sky currently is ;-)

Don't get me wrong, I love the idea of needing to travel a few kilometers to find one valuable resources that can only be found at that spot. But this has to happen within a framework of gameplay mechanics. If a resource can be found only in certain locations, then just digging by luck won't work anymore. It has to be clearly communicated to the player (Examples: In-game Wiki page, buy information of resource locations from villagers, ore detector tool or clear visual cues). 

Also I wouldn't want to spend 80% of my mining time just for traveling to various locations, so it would need to be limited to certain resources.

This is all lovely potential that surely deserves to be explored, but it can't happend for the first survival release, it would delay it by too much.

Archived