Request item from trader

Sooner535

I am not sure if this has been requested before so if it has: sorry

Otherwise:

One thing that would be kind of nice is to pay a gear or two, or more depending on the item. To request specific items for a trader to get next restock.

So for instance there is a list of items in a new tab called "requests" that has every item that trader can sell, then you have 1-8 slots (depending) that you can "request" in the next restock. So you can request these items and they will be there. Would be even more awesome if you could request like 2 tin ores worth and then they will have that. I think it costing something for them to specifically stock is a cool way to balance it.

On the topic of more slots, would be an interesting thing to add later to the progression system. Not sure how that progression system will be, but if you have a trading skill/charisma stat you could get more slots/cheaper requests. Heck you could even have a system to do favors and buy/sell from traders earns favor and the more favor with your favorite trader means more/cheaper slots? Just an idea.

• Like 2

Interesting thoughts. At a guess, you would probably have to double the price or more, or prospecting for traders becomes more lucrative than prospecting for tin or flax. And definitely eliminates any reason at all to waste time domesticating milk animals. It's already kind of borderline, buying from one trader to sell to another. If you aren't careful with exchange rates, it would be easy to turn the game into just another trading sim.

Buying more slots? Nice. It always seemed weird to have all those empty spaces in his inventory.

Alternately, the trader may be unsuccessful some or *cough*most*cough* of the time, making any up-front down payments a risk for the laziness involved.  Maybe the trader finds the desired item but it's in reduced quantity or delivered after a few restock cycles.  

For sure could get out of hand. I think with a progression system it will all need refining with the economy anyways, especially if they plan to go very deep or wide with it.

As for requesting items, I feel like it should be enough costs to know its not the most efficient way, but if you are just having bad luck with prospecting or clay or whatever else? Could be a good way to get resources you need and cant find.

Could even open up some other types of play, for instance I thought about me and my friends next world being a huge ocean with islands, so resources might be more scarce, having traders be able to grab specific items for you from far away could be interesting in that setup.

The idea of having randomness to it is a good idea s well I feel. Heck that could even tie into a skill or relation based system. Could also be interesting to if you ask them for a rare enough item they be gone from their spot a day or two, or even die? Who knows, there are a lot of nifty things you could tie into the system I feel.

• Like 1

If playing single player, progression is probably the answer. If you are lucky with Commodities trader, you can be day 2 bronze age, including the anvil. Probably day 1 if you also have a lucky ruin. If I were king, I think I wouldn't have him stock cassiterite until you have a copper anvil. Other traders can really mess up progression, too, and are the cause of most of my "How the heck did you get that thing that soon???!" situations. You can buy lanterns and chests long before you can make either. Day 1 bronze pickaxes are not unheard of. You can have gambeson before you've planted your first flax. Might want to gate blasting powder behind something.

And now that rusty gears are so much more plentiful...

I mean, why should they not have it? Presumably they have been in this world longer/a lot longer than you.

What should maybe be a thing is raising the prices, I got a black bronze pick for 15 gears, thats not much in the grand scheme of things for sure.

1 hour ago, Sooner535 said:

I mean, why should they not have it?

Cassiterite in particular or stuff in general?

It just turns it into a different game. It just feels "cheaty" to start the game next to a commodities trader and have a day 2 bronze anvil, or be wearing gambeson before I can even make a bucket. The games where I can just leapfrog over the the game's gated advancement seem less fun. YMMV.

• Like 1

I think that would be fixed by an economy update though. Make things more expensive, tie it into a rep or progression system to reduce them and then there ya go. Things are for sure pretty cheap right now, could do with a 20-40% increase. Then get back to these levels or below if you tie in that system. Heck even having reduced inventory for the traders then as you use that rep they get higher or maybe the more money you give them or something they can store more stuff? And use the system to request goods and pay out the nose would be more helpful?

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.