Blazes or Markers

Jibberoni

New to game, sorry if it's a dumb question.  Are there any cheap ways to make blazes or noticeable trail marks?  Or something like a cairn? Best methods for early game? So far I've noticed I could lay down flint for knapping but I worry about it causing performance issues at some point if I have hundreds of them around the map.  Same thing with grass for firepit. Just occurred to me I could use firewood too but I'm bit surprised if there's nothing better than these options already in the game.

Used to use the firepit, particularly one built on a single fencepost so you can see the faint glow in the distance (50+ blocks) at night.

My current favorite is a block or 5 of packed earth placed at the top of a ladder I'm using to scout terrain. Visible during the day from hundreds of blocks away.

Posted (edited)

Bummer.  Good to know about the distance on fire pit glow. Was mainly looking for something cheap and spammable that wasn't block shaped but eye-catching . Something designed for it. Guess I could just do unlit torches but I didn't want it to eat up my dry leaves and sticks early game.

Edited by Jibberoni

You have to develop an eye for it, because unlit firepits are only brightness 3. And last version I did that with (either early 1.18 or late 1.17 I think) you could not leave anything in the fuel slot and still have it emit light. Or maybe you had to leave the cooking slot empty. One or the other. I don't recall. You will figure it out. The point of putting it on a fencepost (which is less expensive than even a block of dirt) is to get it out above the tall grass so it can be seen from a distance.

Another thing I have used from time to time is to make a hoe and turn a single block of dirt into farmland. Permanent, and cost you no more than 1/30 of a rock and a stick.

I've even used non-native flowers. Something like Woad in a biome that is filled with Lupine or Lily of the Valley is distinctive once you get used to looking for it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/7/2024 at 6:37 AM, Jibberoni said:

New to game, sorry if it's a dumb question.  Are there any cheap ways to make blazes or noticeable trail marks?  Or something like a cairn? Best methods for early game? So far I've noticed I could lay down flint for knapping but I worry about it causing performance issues at some point if I have hundreds of them around the map.  Same thing with grass for firepit. Just occurred to me I could use firewood too but I'm bit surprised if there's nothing better than these options already in the game.

A signpost is cheap, crafted with a plank and two sticks, but you need a saw 🤷

Others have left great ideas too with the flowers and packed dirt and camp fires, just gotta find something that works for you.

Also, if you have abundant cattails you can use those for crafting torches as well

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.