Pre-Determined or Roll on Opening Loot?

RainyBasil

I've been playing on a server with a few friends, we've gotten to a pretty good point in progression that we've started installing a few extra mods. There's a crafting recipe in one of these mods that has a schematic in it that can be found in ruin loot. I'm wondering if loot is pre-determined for a world seed, or rolled the moment you open a container. I don't want to end up searching for hours for something that won't happen so im hoping its rolled on opening.

I would assume it's determined when the chunk is generated. I'd check in areas generated after the mods were installed to be safe. You don't need to create a new world.

There are also commands for regenerating chunks that have fewer than a given number of player edits (so you don't wipe your base or regenerate ore):

/wgen autogen 0
/db prune 5 confirm
/db vacuum

Where 5 is the number of edits. Haven't used these yet, personally, so IDK if you need to manually turn autogen back on afterwards so chunks will generate. Create a backup before doing something like this, obviously.

Edited by Bumber
  • Like 1

In the creative inventory there are 'randomizer stack' items that let you generate loot from the in-game loot tables when they are placed into a container.
This leads me to believe it's generated upon opening.

Still, I'd search new chunks or regenerate old ones. Better safe than sorry.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.