Buried Treasure Re-Balance

ifoz

I keep finding really awful buried treasures and I can't tell if this is intentional, a bug or just bad luck.

I have found three chests that only contained a lore book and vintage beef. (This has to be a predetermined treasure chest. Normally I assume chests generate using item randomiser stacks so they are semi-random, but since the beef is not in any randomized stacks and the book is always going to be pulled from the book randomiser, it is always the same).

I have found three chests that only contained a heavily collapsed chest and nothing else. (The chest is the loot. Inside the normal chest is another identical chest item).

To fix this, I personally would change it so that you cannot only get a chest as loot, and the beef/book chest is either more randomized or contains more loot.
I also thought that it could be interesting if you could get the usually un-obtainable starting class clothes from chests, but that was just an idea.

From my experience, I think that buried treasure could benefit from a re-balance and more randomized loot tables.

What does everyone else think? :) 

Edited by ifoz

I'm a little, no a lot hesitant about adding progression-skipping drops. I suppose that's just a personal preference, but it's the reason I didn't use Better Ruins mod for a long time, until they also released something to nerf the loot, though there is still way too much placed loot for my tastes. Why worry about lighting the place up with lanterns when there are over a hundred torch holders free for the taking within a day's radius of your home.

And filling chests with fluff seems a little pointless. You only have so many inventory slots, so most one-off stuff I don't have a real use for just gets tossed. I  guess putting some bauxite or limestone or sylvite in a chest here and there would be OK, but I'd probably not pick that up, either. Maybe the limestone.

Rockhounds nave a term for most of that loot -- leevarite. Leevarite where you found it.

Edited by Thorfinn

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, Thorfinn said:

I'm a little, no a lot hesitant about adding progression-skipping drops. I suppose that's just a personal preference, but it's the reason I didn't use Better Ruins mod for a long time, until they also released something to nerf the loot, though there is still way too much placed loot for my tastes. Why worry about lighting the place up with lanterns when there are over a hundred torch holders free for the taking within a day's radius of your home.

And filling chests with fluff seems a little pointless. You only have so many inventory slots, so most one-off stuff I don't have a real use for just gets tossed. I  guess putting some bauxite or limestone or sylvite in a chest here and there would be OK, but I'd probably not pick that up, either. Maybe the limestone.

Rockhounds nave a term for most of that loot -- leevarite. Leevarite where you found it.

I specifically mean a re-balance of buried treasure chests, not chests in ruins. I think those are pretty perfect as they are.
I mean the chests you buy maps to from Treasure Hunters and that are enclosed in solid stone and need a pickaxe to get to. 
I like to collect clothing, so I often hunt for these chests due to their ability to sometimes contain rare clothes.
At this point in your progression a chest and nothing else is not a very good reward for ~14 gears.

I wholeheartedly agree with your stance on progression-skipping loot, but these chests can already contain iron tools and require both gears and a pickaxe to obtain in the first place, so I would like to see a little better loot than just some vintage beef.

Edited by ifoz
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Maelstrom said:

I'd take vintage beef over some of the stuff I've found.  Considering that vintage beef not only is food, but heals 2 hp as well al while not suffering from rotting to compost.

True, true. The beef is pretty good. Maybe not ~14 gears good, but I do appreciate getting it.

7 hours ago, Maelstrom said:

It would be nice if there were better stuff in there.  I've only bought three maps and haven't bothered with the third because they always are at the bottom of a nearby lake.

I have bought so many maps it's crazy, and probably half of those have been useless stuff.
I know the clothes I'm looking for are rare, but I would like it if some cool clutter or more common clothes could generate in place of useless loot like a heavily collapsed chest.
(I know it could be cool for decoration but the fact it doesn't drop when broken suggests this might be a bug that you can find it at all).

Clutter items need to be repaired with glue before breaking them otherwise they break.  Some folks don't want the clutter and don't like clogging their inventory while exploring ruins so the breaking clutter is intentional.

2 hours ago, Maelstrom said:

Clutter items need to be repaired with glue before breaking them otherwise they break.  Some folks don't want the clutter and don't like clogging their inventory while exploring ruins so the breaking clutter is intentional.

If you find them in chests they don't require glue as they come pre-repaired.
I also specifically mean rarer clutter in buried treasure, not regular clutter in ruins.
And yeah, I get the breaking clutter thing, sometimes I will break wood rubble pieces to get them out of my way.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.