Repairable Protective Suits / Unstable Biome Idea

ifoz

In the vanilla game already in ruins, you can find ruined protective suits/hazmat suits. (Some variations are 'protective' and some are 'hazmat').

I thought it could be interesting if you were able to repair and salvage these enough so that you could wear one.
This would open up opportunities for some kind of irradiated or otherwise unstable biome that you would need one of these suits to enter safely.
I would assume such a biome would be located deep underground and out of the general player's way, as it would be both optional and require one of these rare suits to enter in the first place.
Perhaps such a biome could be infested with the Rust, with special hyper-rusted drifters or other rust-related creatures, and contain some really good loot for your efforts and the general danger.

Due to how generally hard these suits are to find, I think maybe treasure hunter traders could also rarely sell them in a broken form.

I understand this is a bit of a vague idea, but I liked it too much not to make a post about it.

Just some ideas I had, what does everyone else think? :) 

suits.thumb.png.39f3534c5123f41209546f4b2a2e1940.png
Some of the ones that currently reside in my base.

Edited by ifoz

I'm not sure if it would be using the concept of radiation, but toxic fog or mist can be possible. For instance it's a biome below ground level where a deadly fog persist that is very poisonous, and there are ruins in there from a ancient civilization. The importance of activated charcoal would be a material to use for such a toxic area, and coated tubes deployed to have breathing masks and such being a possible technology to use to 'provide fresh air' from the surface down into the fog.

You would deploy contraptions that helps you route longer paths into the ruins to explore, as you hold your breath and use the tubes to breathe in there.

Perhaps the ancient civilization was originally built above sea level, but then got destroyed by a flood which released some sort of toxic material, and when the water receded, it then created a foggy terrain.

Edited by Dra6o0n
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Dra6o0n said:

I'm not sure if it would be using the concept of radiation, but toxic fog or mist can be possible. For instance it's a biome below ground level where a deadly fog persist that is very poisonous, and there are ruins in there from a ancient civilization. The importance of activated charcoal would be a material to use for such a toxic area, and coated tubes deployed to have breathing masks and such being a possible technology to use to 'provide fresh air' from the surface down into the fog.

You would deploy contraptions that helps you route longer paths into the ruins to explore, as you hold your breath and use the tubes to breathe in there.

Perhaps the ancient civilization was originally built above sea level, but then got destroyed by a flood which released some sort of toxic material, and when the water receded, it then created a foggy terrain.

I really like this! The idea of being able to make networks of pipes for clean air reminds me of Subnautica, and I think that's super cool!
Plus, I can totally image some Jonastech type gas mask.

• Like 1

Whatever "stability" is, Jonas parts can be used to ameliorate it. There's no reason that needs to be the only thing that brought about the downfall, nor that whatever else is happening needs to have some real-life parallel. Rather than some mundane cause that can be mitigated simply by piping clean air, I think it would be better to go with your original idea, where there's something quasi-magical that cannot be understood (thus the horror part -- something well understood is less scary than the unknown), but that in he past/future/whatever the rust is, they found a way to mitigate the threat, at least temporarily, using, say, protective suits, and a combination of gears, temporal gears, metal parts, and Jonas parts.

Then, yeah, you can operate in that environment so long as the energy from your temporal gear lasts. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Thorfinn said:

Whatever "stability" is, Jonas parts can be used to ameliorate it. There's no reason that needs to be the only thing that brought about the downfall, nor that whatever else is happening needs to have some real-life parallel. Rather than some mundane cause that can be mitigated simply by piping clean air, I think it would be better to go with your original idea, where there's something quasi-magical that cannot be understood (thus the horror part -- something well understood is less scary than the unknown), but that in he past/future/whatever the rust is, they found a way to mitigate the threat, at least temporarily, using, say, protective suits, and a combination of gears, temporal gears, metal parts, and Jonas parts.

Then, yeah, you can operate in that environment so long as the energy from your temporal gear lasts. 

I really like this. Having to keep your suit charged and repair it with Jonas parts is really cool, gating it behind having Jonastech seems pretty fitting considering the type of danger the biome would pose. And I agree - the more supernatural theme instead of radiation is much more fitting for this game. Radiation was just a word I threw around to convey the type of concept I was envisioning, but I definitely think a rust infestation is much more suited to this game and it's lore than radiation. :D

It seems to me that the thing the suit was protecting against was likely the rot mentioned throughout the current lore.  It also seems to me the rust dimension and rust encrusted critters are a result of Jonas' activity.  If you read HP Lovecraft's stories you'll get a good feeling for this game.

On 4/13/2024 at 4:01 AM, Maelstrom said:

It seems to me that the thing the suit was protecting against was likely the rot mentioned throughout the current lore.  It also seems to me the rust dimension and rust encrusted critters are a result of Jonas' activity.  If you read HP Lovecraft's stories you'll get a good feeling for this game.

I understood that the suits are a preventative measure against the rot and not the rust, though I imagined you modify them when repairing them to consume temporal gears and resist the rust. Since the rot does not appear to exist (at least in it's sickness form) in the present day of the game, using the suits against the rot would not make much sense. Perhaps this underground 'rusted area' has something to do with Jonas' activity, maybe the ruins you can find are all labs of sorts or something of the like, where you could get Jonas parts more frequently than regular ruins.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.