Wood carving

Wahazar

I propose to introduce wood carving as a more immersive crafting recipe - similar to microchiseling, but on, for example,  5x5x5 grid on the log.

Three tools may be used to work with: axe (removes row of LxWxH 5x1x1 of wood), knife (removes 1x1x1 piece of wood) and chisel (with standard modes possible).

Example of log crafting:

firewood - 5x1x2 gap in the middle (so 2 axe hits required) gives 5 firewood (of course standard craft grid recipe should stay as faster but less effective)

club - remove 2 layers of outer cells (can be done by axe)

wooden pan (use knife or chisel to carve sieve pan)

debarking (remove outer vertical layer from one side and outer layer from adjacent side, can be done by axe, but player need to change position, standard recipe should stay as more convenient)

wooden stick (alternative for branch, also required for top tier tools), two 5x1x5 and two 1x5x5 rows (20 axe actions)

maybe some windmill intermediate parts?

14 hours ago, Wahazar said:

firewood - 5x1x2 gap in the middle (so 2 axe hits required) gives 5 firewood (of course standard craft grid recipe should stay as faster but less effective)

I feel like having a dedicated splitting log is probably a better solution here, given that just placing a log and hitting it with an axe to begin carving is going to cause issues when building with wood(as now there is no way to remove a misplaced log). How you would go about making such a chopping block though, I'm not really sure. Perhaps sticking a log into the craft grid with an axe yields the chopping block?

14 hours ago, Wahazar said:

debarking (remove outer vertical layer from one side and outer layer from adjacent side, can be done by axe, but player need to change position, standard recipe should stay as more convenient)

This one is best suited for the addition of the adze as a debarking tool.

Otherwise, woodworking sounds cool, but I'm not sure how fun it would be in actual gameplay to shape everything like that whenever you need a wooden tool or part. It would be more immersive than just a crafting grid, for sure, but I could see it slowing down crafting to the point doing anything becomes more tedious than it is fun. I do like the concept of advanced woodworking in order to build the parts for machinery though. Since it's not something the player does that often either, it runs less risk of being tedious to the point of frustration. It's probably better to use the knife or other dedicated carving tool to make it though, rather than the axe. I'm also not sure how you would incorporate the resin and animal fat into component construction either. 🤔 Perhaps melt a mixture in a cooking pot and then grease the finished piece with it?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Wahazar said:

But hitting to remove is with left button, removal of vortex is with right button (and unlike for clay, there is no placing mode for axe, obviously)?

Accidentally debarking logs in my builds because I right clicked while holding an axe doesn't exactly sound like fun.
This was a feature in Minecraft and personally it was really annoying.

I think a dedicated workstation or chopping block could work better for this, though having to manually debark many logs for a large build is another issue. Maybe it could be less grindy if there was some kind of mechanical part to automate it in the late game?

• Like 3

5 hours ago, ifoz said:

Accidentally debarking logs in my builds because I right clicked while holding an axe doesn't exactly sound like fun.
This was a feature in Minecraft and personally it was really annoying.

What @ifoz said entirely. I've done this so many times in the other block game and it's really frustrating to have to keep fixing things that got debarked by accident, since putting bark back on the logs really doesn't make sense. By requiring debarking to use a different tool(like the adze) and adding a small delay to stripping the log, that at least provides a safety net to prevent accidental debarkings.

5 hours ago, ifoz said:

I think a dedicated workstation or chopping block could work better for this, though having to manually debark many logs for a large build is another issue. Maybe it could be less grindy if there was some kind of mechanical part to automate it in the late game?

Sawmill! Honestly could keep the crafting mostly as-is and just add a sawmill that can be built to automate the crafting of firewood and boards, similar to how helve hammers automate the creation of plates and ingots. 😁

• Like 2

If one were absolutely committed to making common actions more grindy, please don't make it any worse than a multi-component version of a quern. You know, just put the components into the slots on the workbench, then hold right click until it is done. Or add ingredients one at a time, hold right click until that component has been added, I don't care.

But I don't see the point of making it tedious just to make it tedious, or to justify an end of game answer to the grindiness. End game you have all kinds of time to squander. Early game, time is precious.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Thorfinn said:

But I don't see the point of making it tedious just to make it tedious, or to justify an end of game answer to the grindiness. End game you have all kinds of time to squander. Early game, time is precious.

I agree with Thorfinn here. I hope that once they eventually remove the 3x3 crafting grid that this does not mean stacking cobblestone tediously by hand or debarking logs by placing them and holding right click. There is a point where realism must be sacrificed for game design. There's a tipping point when too much realism stops being fun and becomes an awful, grindy slog.

Edited by ifoz
  • Like 2

Been thinking a bit more about it, and coming around.

As long as you don't take away the ability to carry a stack of spearheads or pick heads and put them on sticks found in the field, I don't care if the ones built specially via woodcarving have more durability. Fine with me. Even a good thing, for those who like to roleplay that kind of thing. I suppose it even gives one something to do if he doesn't want to try to accomplish something outside during high rift activity.

Re: the sawmill idea, that really makes sense. Make it with a copper saw blade put logs in the input slot, hold down right click while it converts them to planks, the same way the quern does with grain or limestone, and, like the quern, can also be powered by wind. The advantage is two-fold over using crafting grid -- better output per log (similar to the OP's suggestion) and no durability cost, as is the case with pulverizer, helve hammer, and, um, I guess that's it. The disadvantage is that it is slower than just using the grid and using up charges on your saw.

And I guess that would also work for your worktable. Put in ingredients, select the product you want produced, and either hold down right click or hook it up to a windmill. It goes until one of the ingredients runs out, and saves durability on your tools.

[EDIT]

A spinning wheel that turns 3 flax into 1 twine? A loom that turns 3 twine into 1 linen?

[/EDIT]

Edited by Thorfinn
  • Like 2

OK, maybe using axe for carving was not the optimal idea.
But my intention was not making game harder, just easier.

Memorizing, what knife and log position is valid to make pan or club, is hard, shift-right click of knife on log and there is window opened, similar to knapping, to choose log product - it is easier and more immersive (and allow, in future, more recipes)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.