World role play scenarios

Sulka19

Not sure if many other people do this when they start a new world. But I'm curious if anyone sets rules/goals for a word that they make up for themselves during world generation.

As an example, my current world I'm playing, I'm treating it like my character is a scout/prospector who has been given one year to find a suitable spot for a coastal trading village. This means I will need to make a town hall, trading post, docks, barracks, silo, mill, tavern/Inn and at least three other homes, along with producing enough food to sustainably feed 10 people.

Does anyone else have scenarios they enjoy playing in? I like the idea of getting a list of some of these together.

• Like 4

This is a super cool idea! :D 
I haven't ever tried this, though I do love coming up with backstories for my characters and then playing according to how they as a character would act.
This can influence both my gameplay and my building style, as I build what I think they as a character would value or construct themselves, or what I think should be added to their world. The town I'm currently building, for example, only has two buildings that are canonically built by my character, despite everything being made by me. It's for the roleplay factor that my character "hasn't" built these buildings, even though I have.

Edited by ifoz
  • Like 1

I had a world I just wrapped up playing in where I set it up like an expedition gone wrong where my character was the only survivor. I started off giving my character a few basic supplies, like a shovel and an axe, then plopped him on a shore along with some excess wood to simulate a boat wreck. My goal was to get him out to an ocean to try to sail to safety. This meant all my buildings that time around were much smaller and utilitarian since I knew I wouldn't be staying there for the long haul, only long enough to whip up some long lasting provisions before heading out. 

If I dont do things like this though, I feel like most settlements I set up end up looking very similar. 

I also try to think of what my character would prioritize as well based on their backstory, so for that world, my character spent about a month making mead to bring with him on his trip since in my mind he used to be a barkeep.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sulka19 said:

Does anyone else have scenarios they enjoy playing in? I like the idea of getting a list of some of these together.

For me it's generally not scenarios as much as it is either playing a specific character or wanting a specific build style/environment. Some of it's due to getting distracted easily, but a lot of it is due to singleplayer limitations and none of my friends being the roleplaying types for multiplayer. What I usually do is play with the mod XSkills and then pick a class and skills that fit whatever character I'm playing at the time. For the actual story stuff though...that happens outside of the game for the most part, either writing little snippets or drawing stuff. In-game I tend to do whatever though since it's generally just me to account for.

• Like 2

First off, welcome, @Sulka19.

Haven't done it to that extent, no. My goals are pretty constant from game to game, and one of the conditions I've recently added is building within sight range of the first medium fertility soil I encounter. Even if that means settling in Bauxite Hell. So my homesteads almost never look similar, apart from the pretty standard 6x6x6 cellar, which mostly differs only in the type of cobblestone. One time I'm in a swamp, the next it's hilly, just shy of mountainous, the next, its a treehouse on the edge of the Forest of Endless Wolves. Just the layout of the farmland alone changes drastically. Everything else I need has to be carted in.

If there were a game purpose to it, yeah, I'd build settlements and houses for coopers and bakers and millers and smiths. What I'd really like is an NPC farmer to take over all the crops and a herdsman to take care of milking. And a potter to make crocks and a cook to prepare meals and seal it up in crocks. And so on. I just want to set it up. I don't really care to run it if someone wants to move into an empty house and take over.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Thorfinn said:

If there were a game purpose to it, yeah, I'd build settlements and houses for coopers and bakers and millers and smiths. What I'd really like is an NPC farmer to take over all the crops and a herdsman to take care of milking. And a potter to make crocks and a cook to prepare meals and seal it up in crocks. And so on. I just want to set it up. I don't really care to run it if someone wants to move into an empty house and take over.

As nice as hiring NPCs would be, I worry that it could create a "Minecraft effect".
People making borderline slavery camps where NPCs would be forced to work because it's so much more efficient than actually letting them live like regular people.
This is a huge problem in Minecraft, where two commonly-constructed structures are a "trading hall" (where NPCs are confined in small boxes/cells forever) and a "villager breeder" (which, as the name suggests, is where NPCs are stationed to, well, produce more NPCs).
There's also "iron farms" which abuse NPC mechanics in relation to enemies to spawn robots that instantly get melted into iron ingots, but I don't think that one is really relevant here, thank goodness.

Also having nearly everything automatable by NPCs would make you essentially either a slave master or local lord, and I don't really think that either of these things meshes well with the game's whole philosophy of "hard work pays off".

This could be a cool idea for a mod, but I would actually really dislike it if it was in the base game, at least in the way that Minecraft handles it.

Edited by ifoz
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, ifoz said:

As nice as hiring NPCs would be, I worry that it could create a "Minecraft effect".
People making borderline slavery camps where NPCs would be forced to work because it's so much more efficient than actually letting them live like regular people.

I think this could be safely avoided in Vintage Story given that the NPCs seem to at least try to act like real people that live in the world, unlike...whatever it is villagers do in Minecraft. Villages haven't been added yet, but from what I've read in the "Ghosts" short story and gleaned from other lore tidbits, I get the impression that the remnants of humanity have carved their own havens from the Rust horrors and likely aren't too keen on leaving their homes just because someone asked them to. Especially not for a weird-looking stranger that showed up out of nowhere and doesn't seem to be human. Even assuming the villager in question trusts the player highly, I would still expect them to turn down an offer to move to the player's base, as there is safety in numbers in the village and the other villagers are also fellow humans.

Now all that being said...

21 minutes ago, ifoz said:

Also having nearly everything automatable by NPCs would make you essentially either a slave master or local lord, and I don't really think that either of these things meshes well with the game's whole philosophy of "hard work pays off".

This would actually be a cool option for players that want to play a more villainous character and return things to the Old World noble hierarchy. That would probably require the game to have different ending options depending on which choices the player makes throughout their adventure though, most likely, and I'm not sure how such a thing would even work on multiplayer.

Perhaps it would just be as simple as having an "overall village reputation" which is counted as the average of all villager attitudes toward the player. Players who abuse/exploit the villagers too much might find themselves on the wrong side of the torches and pitchforks if they aren't careful! On the other hand, bullying one villager but being nice to the rest might mean that Ben the Blacksmith no longer sells you stuff, but Tim the Tavernkeep will still sell you a drink or a meal.

28 minutes ago, ifoz said:

This could be a cool idea for a mod, but I would actually really dislike it if it was in the base game, at least in the way that Minecraft handles it.

Definitely agree here. Those villagers are frustrating to deal with, even on the best of days. And I hate just locking them away, but if I don't they generally wind up dead pretty quickly.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, LadyWYT said:

Definitely agree here. Those villagers are frustrating to deal with, even on the best of days. And I hate just locking them away, but if I don't they generally wind up dead pretty quickly.

I started playing Minecraft on my PSVita a while ago because I picked it up for pretty cheap, and I discovered that in older versions of Minecraft, villagers were even worse than they are now. Constantly getting themselves killed, I tell you! 😅
Granted, the way you "deal" with villagers now is hauling them away in boats because they are powerless to move when in a boat, and then shoving them into little boxes.
I think it's because they have basically no AI or interactions with the player other than "walk around and make sounds" and "open trading GUI".

Also I think having villagers be accessible at your base kind of retracts from the game's atmosphere and overall vibes.
Like, in this post-calamity world, you SHOULD have to trek for a while before finding even a single other humanoid.

I'm just so glad that there is no pre-built village structure. Sure, there could be one in the future, but it would probably be like the Archives where you can't break their stuff and would also be located very far from spawn. Maybe some extremely, extremely rare little outposts of a few huts, and of course traders, but that should probably be about it. I hate in Minecraft when you spawn in, find a village in three minutes, and then just have food and shelter immediately accessible. It completely ruins the point of a survival game to just have these things handed to you on a platter.
I'd even say that it ruins the point of a sandbox building game. Having a whole town of pre-built houses does wonders to kill any need to build or improve. Why build more when there's already quite a few nice little homes right here, all ready for the taking?

Edited by ifoz
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, ifoz said:

This is a huge problem in Minecraft, where two commonly-constructed structures are a "trading hall" (where NPCs are confined in small boxes/cells forever) and a "villager breeder" (which, as the name suggests, is where NPCs are stationed to, well, produce more NPCs).
There's also "iron farms" which abuse NPC mechanics in relation to enemies to spawn robots that instantly get melted into iron ingots, but I don't think that one is really relevant here, thank goodness.

What in heaven's name did I say that made you think that's what I was talking about?

Build a house, make it nice enough and maybe someone moves in, and becomes a part of the community. They can leave at any time. They can take on the role of their randomly determined class. Same as making a trading post, and maybe some trader will move in and set up shop permanently. Hardly means he's your slave.

It seems to me the only reason to build a seaside village with multiple houses, a tavern, food for 10, etc., is if you are expecting other residents. Unless maybe it's a Bates Motel kind of thing... Which is horror, though not really eldritch.

That said, I agree that this is more of a lone wolf game.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Thorfinn said:

What in heaven's name did I say that made you think that's what I was talking about?

Build a house, make it nice enough and maybe someone moves in, and becomes a part of the community. They can leave at any time. They can take on the role of their randomly determined class. Same as making a trading post, and maybe some trader will move in and set up shop permanently. Hardly means he's your slave.

It seems to me the only reason to build a seaside village with multiple houses, a tavern, food for 10, etc., is if you are expecting other residents. Unless maybe it's a Bates Motel kind of thing... Which is horror, though not really eldritch.

That said, I agree that this is more of a lone wolf game.

You never said anything indicating this, I was just expressing my concern that if NPCs were added, their AI would need to account for things like nice living conditions so that players wouldn't imprison them. Something like Terraria's NPC happiness mechanic could work.
NPCs coming and going, or '"leaving at any time" like you said sounds like a good idea to me, I think that could definitely work to solve such an issue.

I love building towns and making stories about them, but I can see how there isn't all that much of an in-game motivation to do so.

I know that villager grinders weren't what you were trying to suggest, but I've just been in the Minecraft community before I started playing VS, and thought I'd voice my thoughts on how I didn't want to see villager slave camps start appearing in this community too. 😅

Edited by ifoz
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, ifoz said:

I apologise for what could be seen as an overreaction, I've just been in the Minecraft community before I started playing VS and didn't want to see villager slave camps start appearing in this community too. 😅

I have no background in that other game, so can't speak to it. If it was a problem, it seems it would have been fixable with a slight tweak to despawn rules, but don't have any basis for that opinion other than your description.

That said, by modern moral standards, your character isn't a stellar role model. Here you have these drifters and locusts and sawblades and bells just living their "lives" in the dark places, and you barge in and kill them and take their stuff, then denude the cave of resources so you can make more and better tools to continue your reign of terror. You could choose to live a peaceful, pastoral early Copper Age lifestyle, but instead choose one of violence and domination.  ;) 

6 hours ago, ifoz said:

I'd even say that it ruins the point of a sandbox building game. Having a whole town of pre-built houses does wonders to kill any need to build or improve. Why build more when there's already quite a few nice little homes right here, all ready for the taking?

Agreed.

I do agree with @LadyWYT that's its just a game, it's not reality. Accept it on it's own terms. Seraphs aren't even real. They don't have purple hair or instrument voices. "They" are just a bunch of 1s and 0s, with a deceivingly good 2D representation so as to more easily interface with your imagination. If you put them in an equally imaginary box, they don't care.

Edited by Thorfinn
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Thorfinn said:

That said, by modern moral standards, your character isn't a stellar role model. Here you have these drifters and locusts and sawblades and bells just living their "lives" in the dark places, and you barge in and kill them and take their stuff, then denude the cave of resources so you can make more and better tools to continue your reign of terror. You could choose to live a peaceful, pastoral early Copper Age lifestyle, but instead choose one of violence and domination.  ;) 

Hey, those drifters aren't exactly squeaky clean themselves! Really, it's all just in self-defence! :D

This brings about a funny mental image of drifters living a peaceful life with locusts and other rot beasts in the depths until a single Seraph draws near and they all suddenly get really angry. Maybe they just really hate the colour blue? Makes sense why they never go out during the day!

• Like 3

It is hard to know how their "lives" go when they are not observed by a seraph because they are not being observed by a seraph. They might be infighting when we aren't there, and that piece of twine goes from one to another.

Oh, maybe they can be observed. Do they infight in creative mode? May not be definitive, but if they do infight, I'd say it's likely they are not peacefully coexisting. How about wolves and foxes and bears? Do they still kill animals in creative?

• Like 1

Anyway, I'm pretty sure this is pretty far afield of the OP.

My goals are usually pretty basic. Steel plate armor, all steel tools, meteoric plate armor and falx (because they look cool) plus complete RA and peg all nutrition bars within a year. Obviously that entails a lot of sub-goals and mileposts along the way, but those are the end points.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Thorfinn said:

Oh, maybe they can be observed. Do they infight in creative mode? May not be definitive, but if they do infight, I'd say it's likely they are not peacefully coexisting. How about wolves and foxes and bears? Do they still kill animals in creative?

From what I've seen, they tend to just wander around aimlessly when left to their own devices, avoiding direct sunlight whenever possible. Once in a while you'll see one sniff itself before flailing around in frustration, or one kneel for a moment seemingly sobbing. I've also heard that they will worship Jonas tech if some is nearby, though I've never actually witnessed it happen.

As far as infighting, they don't seem prone to killing each other unprovoked, nor do they seem to particularly care whether or not they have a social group. Given the lore that we have to work with, they seem to be aggressive towards natural living entities and seraphs--anything that could qualify as prey although humans and seraphs seem to be the favorites to hunt. In regards to actual gameplay though I think that behavior either has yet to be fleshed out more, or has been deliberately omitted to avoid unneeded player frustration. It would be annoying after all to constantly wait for traders to respawn due to them getting killed by drifters, or having your livestock wiped out because a drifter spawned in your animal pens during a temporal storm.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, LadyWYT said:

It would be annoying after all to constantly wait for traders to respawn due to them getting killed by drifters, or having your livestock wiped out because a drifter spawned in your animal pens during a temporal storm.

Oh it absolutely would be annoying, but imagine the fridge horror of a random event of waking up one morning and there's a dead animal on your front door with the "Mangled Body, as if killed by some Vile Creature" description.   "What?! Where'd this come from? All my animals are here! Did it kill a random pig and drag it to my door?"

• Haha 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.