Pinning the Guidebook / Keeping a page open / Bookmarking a recipe

caffeine

The Guidebook is incredibly useful, and I use it all the time.  What's frustrating is having to go back to the same page over and over.

Is there a way to "pin" a page so that when I open the guidebook next, it opens to the same page?

Better yet, an easy-to-access bookmark system?

How about bookmarking a particular recipe?  Bookmarking pages would obviate this one, because recipes _are_ pages in the Guide Book, but it might be useful conceptually for kids.

• Like 1

Used to be a mod that did that back when I wanted the same thing. Survival Categories, I think it was. No idea if it still works.

I still use the handbook, especially for automation, but ever since I started organizing containers by function (all things you need for X go in 1 or 2 trunks) I don't need that any more.

Pro-tip: If you make one extra of the commonly used stuff, like axles and angled gears, and leave it in the trunk, simply opening the trunk and hovering over that when you press "h" brings up the right page in the handbook.

1 hour ago, Thorfinn said:

Used to be a mod that did that back when I wanted the same thing. Survival Categories, I think it was. No idea if it still works.

I still use the handbook, especially for automation, but ever since I started organizing containers by function (all things you need for X go in 1 or 2 trunks) I don't need that any more.

Pro-tip: If you make one extra of the commonly used stuff, like axles and angled gears, and leave it in the trunk, simply opening the trunk and hovering over that when you press "h" brings up the right page in the handbook.

Yeah, I love this feature, and use it all the time.  It's one of the things that makes VS feel like such a polished game.

1 hour ago, StCatharines said:

I do similar as Thorfinn does. If I need to make, say, a helve hammer base, I hover over a board and press H. It's already linked to the board page, so with one key and one click I can bring up the recipe.

Yeah, I use this feature all the time.  But the thing that drove me to post this is that I'm currently figuring out how to make steel, and am constantly referring back to the guidebook for the tutorial, not the recipe.   Also, for the alchemy mod -- it's easier to use the instructions to navigate through the recipes, only because I don't know the recipes very well yet.

2 hours ago, caffeine said:

Yeah, I use this feature all the time.  But the thing that drove me to post this is that I'm currently figuring out how to make steel, and am constantly referring back to the guidebook for the tutorial, not the recipe.   Also, for the alchemy mod -- it's easier to use the instructions to navigate through the recipes, only because I don't know the recipes very well yet.

Oh, yeah, that immersive interaction vs. grid crafting is a big deal. Very similar to people not understanding the rules for making a charcoal pit, or how meals or alloys work.

So your suggestion is that "h" opens up the last page you were on, unless you are currently hovering over something? Then look up that thing? Sounds like an improvement. I'd suggest that it also jumps straight to whatever block you are currently pointing to, so you can find out that lily pads are useless, seaweed is less than useless, and woad can be used for dye without having to harvest any of them.

[EDIT]

Oh, hey, multiple other things come to mind. If you press "h" while looking at an oven, you can immediately figure out that you can make bread and pies, and follow the pie item to get to the infobit about it. If you "h" on the table, it takes you to that page, and from there you can go to the recipe for pie. Cooking pot takes you to meals. Fire pit invites you to learn about primitive cooking, meals, torches, lime, etc.

[/EDIT]

Edited by Thorfinn
  • Wolf Bait 1

2 hours ago, Thorfinn said:

I'd suggest that it also jumps straight to whatever block you are currently pointing to, so you can find out that lily pads are useless...

Shift + H while targeting a block will bring up the handbook entry on the block, such as lily pads, seaweed, etc.

• Mind=blown 1
  • Thanks 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.