What is wrong with my greenhouse?

caffeine

I'm not entirely sure how to check if my greenhouse is working, but I suspect it's not functioning.

The interior is 14x14x4, with the bottom layer being used for terra preta and water.  The roof is 100% green glass slabs, and they are flush with the highest row of walls (you can see this in the screenshot).  The only thing that I can see that may be wrong is maybe the game doesn't like the fact that I haven't filled out the bottom layer with terra preta and water (I'm still in the process of searching for high quality dirt to fill out the greenhouse).

Also, some random game mechanic questions:

1. Do we ourselves also benefit from the +5 degree buff?  So if we're freezing outside, do we get warmer when we go inside a greenhouse?
  2. Can I heat the greenhouse with, say, a Vies block brazier?  Will that raise the temperature inside?  One firewood for 12 in-game hours is a good deal, and a realistic way of growing crops if it works (a stack of firewood would keep the brazier going for roughly a month).

2024-06-17_11-00-15.png

Edited by caffeine

15 hours ago, Thorfinn said:

Since you are going to the trouble of having a greenhouse and all, you did know you only need glass in half the roof, right? So you could build two greenhouses with the same amount of glass?

I did know this.  But I have SO much olivine -- more than I can possibly store -- counting half the space would take more time than just slapping all the glass down for the roof.

16 hours ago, Maelstrom said:

Glass slabs for the top need to be on the top half of the block.  You have them on the bottom half of the block.

If you look at the picture, you can see that the slabs are placed correctly.  Someone had suggested that sleek doors are not airtight -- turned out this was the right suggestion (which is a shame because they look so much nicer).  Replaced the sleek door with a solid door and I saw the +5 degree buff on the soil.

16 hours ago, StCatharines said:

You know, closer looking shows the issue. I counted the bricks, it actually does have the glass slabs in the right position.

That's a sleek door. It has to be a solid door, the sleek doors aren't airtight.

This was it, which is a real shame because the sleek doors are so much nicer looking (and I'm a function over form person, so that's saying a lot).

I still don't know the warmth mechanics of this game.  Does this mean my base -- which has all sleek doors -- is not keeping as warm as it should be?

5 minutes ago, caffeine said:

This was it, which is a real shame because the sleek doors are so much nicer looking (and I'm a function over form person, so that's saying a lot).

I still don't know the warmth mechanics of this game.  Does this mean my base -- which has all sleek doors -- is not keeping as warm as it should be?

There are mods which make sleek doors act "airtight" like regular solid doors.

It does indeed mean that none of your base currently counts as having rooms/buildings for the warmth mechanics. You're standing outside, uncovered for all practical purposes.

Edit: Here is the mod I meant! There's also a version which both makes them airtight and adds glass to the appearance.

Edited by StCatharines

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.