Vanilla mechanisms

Azzeruahu

So seeing the gears and mechanical workings, I’d like to see the ability to build a portcullis for manors/castle gates in vanilla. This was something that (through some “wiring” is possible in a similar game, yet I don’t see anything indicating it being possible in Vintage Story. Using a hand crank at ground level and using gears to rotate something that raises and lowers a portcullis seems like it would fit well especially with late game builds such as castle and manors with large entrances. 

• Like 3

You are absolutely right, first of all, self-closing doors/gates should be doable with an ordinary spring. Brass spring for single doors, steel spring for large doors and gates.

Also automatic mechanical gates opened/closed with press-plate are the real thing.

gateswing.jpg

automaticgate.jpg

• Like 2

I don' know about brass springs, but I agree with steel springs.

By the time your in steel some door automation seems doable.

Maybe coil the springs on a mandrill off the windmill and heat it to "set" it.

Even different sizes for different applications.

Not the automation, more of just being able to raise and lower iron bars or something that looks like a portcullis. I don’t know if a linear gear is possible to attach to the side and it be glued together and then raised and lowered like a medieval gate system.

Counterweight-based door and gate closures have been around since at least the 2nd Millenium BC. After all, it's nothing but a rope, a pulley and a weight. 

A portcullis is nothing more than that, just on a bigger scale. But you want to be a little careful with the realism thing, I think. You are not going to be able to have some guards running the windlass from the gatehouse. Whatever you do has to be single-player friendly.

• Like 3

I like this idea, especially since I build castles all the time.

3 hours ago, Thorfinn said:

Counterweight-based door and gate closures have been around since at least the 2nd Millenium BC. After all, it's nothing but a rope, a pulley and a weight. 

A portcullis is nothing more than that, just on a bigger scale. But you want to be a little careful with the realism thing, I think. You are not going to be able to have some guards running the windlass from the gatehouse. Whatever you do has to be single-player friendly.

Very true, though I'm guessing that a portcullis in singleplayer would be mostly decorative and you'd just leave it open when going out and about. When you're at home you might close it, or you might use them to lock down an area during a temporal storm. Given some of the late-game tech that we have, it's also possible that you could make some sort of device to open and close the gate remotely within a certain range. You'd just have to make sure that you don't lose the remote, or else you're going to have a tough time accessing your base and acquiring another remote.

Speaking of guards though...I could see a portcullis being implemented in future villages as a defense, with NPC guards to man them. During a temporal storm, the gates would slam shut(assuming that temporal storms affect entities other than seraphs, anyway) and anyone on the outside is out of luck. If there's a reputation system, the guards might also lock you out of the village for a while(several days to perhaps even months) if you're a known troublemaker. 😁

• Like 3

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.