Drifters should be able to break dirt

Wahazar

Drifters are throwing stones, they somewhat resemble mutated moles, I propose that they are able to (slowly) break soil blocks (not packed/cob ones), therefore ordinary dugout is not a permanent shelter (breaking process should be slow, so player still is able to repair burrows, when he is aware of crack on soil block).

• Like 1

If you've got block gravity on, your dugout would've already collapsed while you were trying to build it. In that case, you'd be using packed dirt to begin with.

Edited by Bumber

Honestly I would be in favor, just so that the boring surface drifters get something unique to them. And of course to beat back the atrocity that is building bases with dirt blocks. :P

Since most drifters need a 2x1 space to fit through, one broken block is not an immediate problem; the player can just replace the block. Active defense against active attack, so to speak. Crawling drifters... well, you just learned why not to rely on dirt blocks too much!

Drifters should only do this while aggroed on the player and actively trying to reach them. They should not randomly destroy the landscape.

10 hours ago, Streetwind said:

Honestly I would be in favor, just so that the boring surface drifters get something unique to them.

I disagree about the surface drifters--I think they're fine as the basic enemies they are. I'd save the more interesting mechanics for new enemy types, such as the Rot-beast dog-thing that's coming in the next update.

13 hours ago, Wahazar said:

Drifters are throwing stones, they somewhat resemble mutated moles, I propose that they are able to (slowly) break soil blocks (not packed/cob ones), therefore ordinary dugout is not a permanent shelter (breaking process should be slow, so player still is able to repair burrows, when he is aware of crack on soil block).

11 hours ago, Wahazar said:

One can set grace period of one or more days without monsters, if it would be issue. Also they would dig only in natural soil, not packed or cob man-made.

Like I said before, I think a mechanic like this is better suited to a different type of enemy, probably one that's a bit uncommon. The surface drifters already provide a decent threat; a new player will likely find just one to be enough of a challenge, while a pack of surface drifters can still pose a serious threat to a veteran player in the earlier portions of the game. For new players especially I think it's important that the surface world threats be fairly manageable. Bears you can spot and avoid; wolves howl to alert that they're nearby. Surface drifters are a little harder to avoid since rift activity is unpredictable, but can be either fought or avoided by staying in sort of shelter. Now granted, a new player could just set a grace period, but the main hazard there is that...there's nothing to really indicate that they shouldn't be building with dirt. Ideally, they should be able to acquire better building material and expand their base within 10 days(the longest grace period), but "expanding the base" for a new player can sometimes translate to "build a bigger dirt house". And in that case, I feel a new player is likely to be more frustrated after having spent that time acquiring stuff, only to find out their home doesn't actually keep bad things out and potentially meet their end because of it.

The other this is, as @Streetwind mentioned, that the hole dug would need to be 2 x 1 in order for the typical drifter to get inside. A 1x1 hole will still let crawlers through, of course, and will let others throw rocks/reach through to smack players that stand too close, so it could still prove dangerous. However, if the drifter's dig speed is fairly slow, what's really stopping the player from plugging the hole as soon as it appears? Not to mention which block does the drifter dig through to begin with--if the player has a storage vessel in the way the path will still be blocked. So the drifter may actually need to dig more than one block in order to get to the player.

All that being said...I think if drifters were to get a digging ability anyway, I'd say it may be best suited for the higher tier drifters(any drifter other than surface drifters) and make the dig speed comparable to the player's base dig speed. That way it's a threat in caves(you'll need stronger materials to properly block a passage off) and during temporal storms while leaving your typical surface conditions more easily manageable.

When talking about moles, I was referring to these crawlers, only these will dig 1x1 hole.

I don't think it is substantial threat, rather spicy flavor to the game, making sitting in dugout and waiting for dawn less boring 😉

Something like zombie breaking doors in MC. It may be also configurable: no/during temporal storms/yes, first option for Exploration playstyle, second for Standard, third for Wilderness Survival/Homo sapiens.

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.